The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Of Renaissance And Returns

I seem to be experiencing some kind of renaissance in terms of friendship. Which is not unpleasant, but a tad bizarre and rather surprising. But perhaps to be expected. Weddings and funerals always bring people together again, as a wise saying goes. I would have hoped any contact made is due to more natural and becoming circumstances ie missing me overwhelmingly and independently, but I guess it takes both effort and courage to check on me again. In stranger cases, it's due to unseen forces that propel some of you back into my life, and I thank the unknown for my occasional good fortune in the most uncertain of times.

Yesterday, I received an email from a dear friend whom I used to attend philo classes with in university. Because I adore intelligent people; people who are always nice enough to drive me home (esp when they live in distant lands like AMK), and people who yak and dissect life non-stop ie who enjoy a good verbal sparring/animated discussion/intimate sharing, and Grace was all three, we got along great despite the lateness of realising each other's existence. Then life (beliefs and boyfriends, all more on her end) got in the way - there was always a lack of time upon graduation - and it was friendship, interrupted enacted.

It was a concerned email that tested waters, without coming across as too heavy, or flippant. The drawback was that the subject heading was crassly christened as "touching base." Urgh. Grace, I always knew you were better suited for the corporate world. Anyhow, I just want to announce openly on my blog that you and I, we are okay. Thank you for your email (I will email you back, just need to blog first).

Incidentally, Grace also has the dubious honour of making me burst into tears the moment I heard her voice over the phone. No one has ever managed or repeated the feat. *Quote from June 11th entry: Yesterday was bad, I suspect coz I din sleep. During work, just hearing a familiar voice calling my office line inquiring about my mum and I made me burst into tears. Quite cheesy and gross. But yeah, I have my unflappable and perky composure back since.*

I remembered that day as a week plus after my mum's first rushed op and marked my return to work, and I was so horrified and frustrated over my stupidity at not asking for a second professional opinion before agreeing to the op. I fretted insistently and incessantly over its necessity, esp when the doctors and nurses were unhelpful and unforthcoming with post-op care and information. I was ignorant and scared and most of all, angry. Pissed angry enough to make sure everyone pays in the only way I know how. Getting published in the forum with an elaborate plan in mind. And I still have unsettled business with SGH, which if I ever had energy and time, I will definitely follow it through.

But back to Grace. Grace was kind and helpful during my very, very rare moment of freaking out. She caught me during need, provided it the best that she can (the fact that she called me on my office line still never ceases to amaze me; she kept my business card!), and for that, I will always remember her fondly, even if she chooses beliefs and boyfriends over me most of the time. So, amazing Grace, welcome back.

That Grace reads my blog pretty regularly (which I have no idea) also solves partially the mystery of why there are so many visits from NUS network. I'm relieved to know that Meihui and Ezo do not reload my page religiously. Now, all I need to find out is: who's the stalker (if it's only one visitor) using sing, edu.sg as dial-up. The person does not get tired of checking my blog 8 times per hour. He/She is obviously convinced I should be blogging all the time.

Then there's the sms from Minchao today, someone I haven't heard from for almost 10 years. Who used to be one of my closest friends in DHS, till *chorus* life gets in the way, and part of the whole Minxiu and Meihui network. Who told her? 'Fess up.

5 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

I asked if she wanted to come with us when we were still in the "let's visit your mother after your sis's exams" phase. That's how she knows.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i noe its u, mx. bet xw has an idea too.

i check ur blog 1-3 times per day from sch. so could i have contributed to many edu.sg dial-ups too?

meihui

10:30 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

No, meihui, yours is NUS dial up while minxiu's is 1-Net from the head office. singapore (edu.sg) is definitely neither of you. some teacher perhaps...odd.

anyway i haven't replied to minchao yet. haven't thought of what to say.

10:43 AM  
Blogger cinewhore said...

How on earth do you know where people post from?

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MX, u can track ur visitors u noe?
even the IP addresses... LOL

btw, cant be me lah, i'm not a tcher leh... hee

-ww

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home