The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Hey 2008, Bye 2007

5 days has passed since 2008 and I’m happy that they have been well spent. Saying goodbye to the last of 2007 with the DBF in Via Mar @Esplanade, making resolutions, toasting with Sangria, put the two of us in such excellent spirits that night that we forgave even the atrocious buffet spread. In less than 12 hours later (still on the first day), we met again, with Shimin joining us to zip around Singapore looking for the hawker fare that he missed. At one point, it was surreal that we da-bao and settled comfortably in the deserted corridors next to NUS business canteen to tuck in.

It was with some wistfulness that I discover the law faculty and library have been replaced by some graduate computer studies programme while seeking out the toilet. But it was a new year and there was no room for old memories, what more memories that have been officially destroyed in all its tangibility. Is there any use (and point) to be the only one sanctioning the past via remembering feebly, with the feeling already so grossly distorted by absence? The question is no longer where are you, as I stared at my reflection in the mirror, but where am I. Here, and without you, but it has always been my presence that matters, hasn’t it.

The birthday saw an unusually high volume of sms-es received from people I din even know they know, which is living testimony to how helpful and penetrative Facebook is. But this year was special, because I spent with Sherry and her husband. It was warm, fuzzy, kind and familiar, very homely and comfortable and in a way, traditional: good seafood, great company, with a Hello Kitty cake thrown in for good measure, rounded up by mahjong at their place till 3am. It was The Simple Life that I wrote about before, and I feel, with apprehension, that it is becoming increasingly attractive when I am happy. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Am I getting domesticated against my will? Never. I shall persevere to make 2008 more thrilling than 2007.

For 2008’s reference in order to surpass and transcend, I present my Top 10 Accomplishments in 2007!

In no particular order

1. Signing up for a songwriting course under lyricist Xiaohan in FM (Sadly I had to miss the last three lessons due to work). No regrets here. I learnt a lot and now it's up to me to take this further.

2. Signing up for driving lessons. Well, it was only a 10 lesson package I bought and upon completion, I stopped because I wanted the time to do some other things. I plan to continue with the lessons in 2008 and get that license.

3. Going to Tokyo. I was finally seeing the world!

4. Going to Hong Kong. I was finally seeing the world!

5. Finding the heart and courage to make up with Best Friend

6. Finding Deputy Best Friend

7. Putting myself out on the market and going for job interviews to suss out my market value, gain momentum/practice. I have been lapsing since October. Time to start a new search. Time to update resume.

8. Completed 3 runs: 5km Shape, 5km Run For Hope and 10km Great Eastern Women's Run. Time to start running regularly again.

9. Seeing my baby sis getting her dream job. Very, very proud of her.

10. Not exactly an achievement but an experience. A thrilling table story to tell when normal conversation gets boring: being robbed in JB while in Mr Dimples' car with two other male friends (I know, like wtf) and feeling a rich plethora of strong, stormy emotions that eventually subsided after I told Mr Dimples he sucked big time.

2 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

Happy belated. It slipped my mind because I was having an absolutely horrible day. You'll read it in my upcoming blog post (which I haven't written yet) called "Black Friday". No kidding.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

Thank you. I forgive you. You can tell me when we next meet, or just call. I think that's a faster occurrence in the scheme of things, given how horribly backdated your blog is. You are still going on about October 2007!

I want to watch Love In The Time of Cholera, The Other Boleyn Girl, PS I Love You (all have my keywords for a must-watch) and I just bought the soundtrack for Across The Universe.

Till next time, I see The Penis and think of you :)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home