The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The DBF

In relation to the last post, unfortunately, for The Future Boyfriend whoever and wherever he is, Deputy Best Friend has upped stakes and standards. Deputy Best Friend is a planner and initiator so he has pre-booked me for the last day of 2007 even before the HK trip. I did consider for the briefest of moments what if some other guy I like were to ask me out but hell, that guy is too slow so he deserves to be rejected. Guys should really 打铁趁热 or 趁火打劫 and just act on things. I'm glad Deputy Best Friend is not some nua nua guy so that at least I can still use him as a semi-shining example (semi, cos I haven't actually seen him interacting with an official girlfriend before. He could be The Boyfriend From Hell when not in a platonic relationship).

So we are going to Via Mar @Esplanade to do a late pigout and count down there. Foreplay would be a movie and gasp, a possible visit to some spa (wah, Deputy Best Friend is the only friend amongst my posse who would suggess massage and stuff and goes for foot reflexology sessions regularly) and some ad hoc activities that we can afford to slot in. We can dress nice nice and not suffer the ta-glam indignities of attempting to hail a cab because he's borrowing the family car. Whee!! And my own personal high would derive from opening the advance birthday gift he has selected from IFC in HK upon my stern instructions of no books, no CDs, no DVDs - preferably something pretty and screams me that's wearable. Oh, The Future Boyfriend, please appear soon so that you have less to live up to :)

Anyway, all this flattering (and pretty sincere!) talk about Deputy Best Friend is also to make up for a long overdue thank you post for his nine days of hospitality and companionship in Hong Kong that I know he has been waiting for. Isn't it amazing how we (you and I ) manage to lead separate lives for four years with no contact at all only to hang out profusely again now? I've mellowed and you've matured but we are still as wry and acerbic and amusing and entertaining together as ever.

I present you Deputy Best Friend. Very eligible. Occasionally angsty. Easy to coax. Tough to coerce (lawyer by training mah). Does not need batteries to operate. Can feed, can wash, can clean after himself (how attractive is that!!).

Us in Lamma Island, Hong Kong.



Us, in Dirty Duck Diner, Wanchai, Hong Kong.


Candid romance shot of Deputy Best Friend in Shek O


Best Friend, Myself & Deputy Best Friend
doing the 自拍. I must say for someone who doesn't
自拍 on a frequent basis (if at all), Deputy Best Friend
has good aiming.


But back to Hong Kong: I din shop as much as your average visitor. But I love the outlying islands like Lamma & Lantau lots lots.While HK was somewhat like Tokyo, I was never truly comfortable or at ease because of my inability to communicate in Cantonese (even the basic escapes me). So I write in Chinese characters or rely entirely on the efforts of Best Friend & Deputy Best Friend when there's a need to ask for directions. Felt helpless and it's not something I like to feel. So gimme Japan anytime!

I must confess too that apart from congee, it's my conviction that the cuisine in Singapore surpasses that of HK in general - even the dim sum and the 烧腊. It's not blasphemy but truth that I found out myself ok. But I digress.

So my heartfelt thanks to Deputy Best Friend for being here, there and everywhere, for your being warm, ardent and passionate, for having initiative, energy and drive, for having all these qualities in quantities that surpass possibly even mine, to make me feel less alone in a world where most people are cold, unthinking, bochup and busy. I hope you never falter and stay winsome. Now if you would allow for a modicum of unpredictability to seep insidiously into your life, perhaps life can indeed be exciting in the way you wish for.

3 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

Not to rain on your parade, but the fact that you don't have to suffer the indignities of waiting for a cab means that you might have to suffer the indignities of getting stuck in a traffic jam, as I have many times before on New Year's Eve.

Maybe you should bring your new iPod along, if you've bought it by then.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sngs Alumni said...

Wah, is PJ paying you to publicise him like this? :-)

1:47 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

minxiu: my would-be ipod would have no songs inside yet!!! i'm still thinking what's the best way to deflower it.

i dun mind stuck in a traffic jam. It's the getting hot and sweaty amidst a still and standing crowd,and worrying about how to get home, competing un-glam-ly with The Next Other Carless, Thankless, Hapless Person x Infinite etc when i'm nicely attired and in an originally celebratory mood that would make it a nightmarish turn-off!!

Beautante: AHHHH! you just blew his cover! HAHAHAHA!

Doing this out of goodwill and to accumulate positive karma :) Mostly also because there are some readers of this blog who used to know him personally from school but haven't seen him in years, so this is an update on a fellow friend too. hey, this applies to you too!! you sorta know him :)

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home