The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

When The World Is Tokyo

Tokyo was everything tangible and symbolic of what I wish for. I never felt more liberated and alive as I roamed the streets and subways by myself. I am, finally, the carefree and care-less heartless I always imagine I can be, away from Singapore. The thoughtless romantic imbibing the delightful worldliness of alone-ness in a foreign land was no longer make-believe and pretence.This was a late coming-of-age independence (but never too late) and gladly, I am mature enough to embrace and appreciate the alone-ness without feeling lonely. And Tokyo was home to me, partly because I understand the language and culture and possibly, ‘cos I can pass off as Japanese (not the heavily mascara-ed, fake-lashed girls though but the more traditional ones. Ha).

A typical day would start with me setting off early (usually on my own if I need to visit stranger places) and I would enjoy my walks through the subway labyrinths and drawing the connections between one station and another. Weather in Tokyo was cool and usually watery – either a light drizzle or heavy downpour but everyone was always immaculately dressed. The guys were mostly in well-cut black suits complete with tie while the ladies were all in heels and lacey frills. It was a handsome and pretty picture. Anyway, the second half of the day would be spent with friends in Tokyo who would take me around to the fun places. Yes, friends in Tokyo, rather than the friend I was traveling with because Chinyi had her conferences to attend.

I hanged out with Shirley most of the time and through her, got to know two other brilliant and beautiful women: Justina and Katrina. These three were like the older sisters I never have (all > 10 years older than yours truly). And I love Katrina for bringing me to the label heaven and boutique town that is Premium Outlet where the four of us just kept encouraging one another to spend and spend because of the slashed prices. I bought a black Prada bag and the limited red edition of mini-Amazona bag from Loewe and a pair of Kenzo pants. I know I have excellent taste but it’s grand to have sisterly approval and endorsement.

I think I can survive in Tokyo, to stay here, alone. It’s a good feeling to know I can uproot so easily, even if I have no real plans to, yet. The only scary bits (all two of them) was when I got out of a wrong exit at night and was lost for all of 20 minutes, wandering by myself in the deserted freezing street, and when I was walking in Ropponggi (at night again) where the black men were touting and pimping. They did look very suave and smell very good though.

I din get to do what I wanted to do at Mt Fuji ‘cos it was icy-cold and gusty. So I was forced to give up, which is a nice conclusion too: forced to give up. That same night, I msged him, without expecting a reply, announcing that I’m finally in Japan now all by myself and it was not difficult at all as he has made it out to be two years ago. I also wished him well and remind him not to be a stranger. And this, perhaps, is closure enough from me to him.

This morning, I asked Mr Dimples flippantly if he missed me. He replied earnestly it’s good that I’m safe and sound because he heard there was an earth quake near Tokyo.

(But is that good enough?)

*

Tokyo Day I
- Watched 200 Pounds Beauty on SIA inflight entertainment
- Watched Seducing Mr Perfect
- Arrived at Narita at 7pm and reached hotel at 8.30pm
- Ate dinner at a really yummy sushi bar round the corner and drank milk

Tokyo Day 2
Met Shirley at 10am to visit
- Shinjuku and the 4 major departmental stores: Isten, Takashimaya, Keio, Odayu
- Tokyo Hands
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
- Shinjuku Central Park
- Kabukicho
Bought a yutaka and wooden clogs from Uni Qlo

Tokyo Day 3
- Visit Mt Fuji + Hakone on a one day guided tour for 15K yen
Hardly the best of investment as weather was bad and I could not tell which is Mt Fuji until I’m actually on it. The strongest evidence I have of Mt Fuji is a posteriori. I felt the wind whipping my face and hair and the pain made me aware.
- talked to an American and his family on the bus and squashing the light urban legends of Singapore, replacing (regaling) them with more edgy fare.
- too tired for a proper dinner so had Nissin cup noodles

Tokyo Day 4
- Visited Tsukiji Market and had an excellent rice bowl filled to the brim with kani (snow crabs), salmon roe and sea urchin
- Bought jumbo grapes that cost 700 yen but is sold in Singapore for $99. Nice red winey aroma and taste.
- Namiyoke Shrine波除神社
- Tokyo Tower & Zoujouji Temple
- Tokyo University

Tokyo Day 5
- Sensō-ji 金龍山浅草寺 & Nakamise-dori & bargained prices down sucessfully by 1500 yen in Japanese
- Ate Mr Doughnut (which was no big deal)
- Odaiba with Shirley where she brought me to see the Rainbow Bridge, Statue of Liberty (as seen in one of the Japanese dorama classics With Love), Venue Fort (Palette Town), Fuji TV station/studio, Ferris Wheel, Aqua City, Decks. Dinner was a yummy and expensive grill.


Tokyo Day 6
- Yasukuni Shrine 靖国神社
Went there just to see what the big deal was. Was surprised by the open gallery of paintings that advocate peace and purity. Like seriously.
- Harajuku, 100 yen Daiso, Omotesandō which were all also no big deal.
- Had yakitori for dinner

Tokyo Day 7
- Label heaven day as mentioned in the preceding paragraphs
- Dinner at Korean restaurant
- Katrina kindly invited me to put up at her place for my next visit (yay!)

Tokyo Day 8
- Ueno &下谷神社 & Oicity
- Met Shirley and Justina for tea at Italian coffee house before we browsed through all the high end boutiques at Ginza and unleased the taitai fiend in us. We din buy much ‘cos we have conquered many at Premium Outlet. It’s really fun shopping at high end boutiques in Japan because their service is excellently discreet and I can finger any product I like without irritating sales assistants intruding into my private space (asking if I wanna buy and offering more info that I do not care for) and rearranging the item immediately after I have put it back as if to disinfect it. Duh. Yay to taitai shopping in Tokyo!
- Shashabu at Shabu Zen in Roppongi till close to midnight
- Being accosted and propositioned by black men

Tokyo Day 9
- went to Narita Airport real early to catch my flight
- watched Protégé and Mr & Mrs Smith

Back into Singapore, my home and country and waiting for me at the airport was my baby sister. So cute and adorable. Have I mentioned we are working in rival companies. Heh. So proud of her.


What next? Where next? who next? :)

1 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

So the black men were trying to sell themselves to you? How exciting! Haha...

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home