The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Of Going, Home & The Happening

Best Friend and I are settling too comfortably into a husband and wife routine. I made plans to shop today but she has most amazingly whipped up flavoured sushi rice, boiled potatoes with minced beef and self-kneaded meatballs to dabao to my place. How very nice and sly of her. So we ended up at my place for the whole night after an impromptu food buy at the supermarket and cooked even more stuff to add to the spread: Japanese curry, fish fingers, miniature Taiwan sausages, crawfish and sotong balls.

After bursting the tummies, we promptly switched on the aircon and slumped onto bed, and chatted before we both fell asleep. The chatting part lasted at most 20 minutes.

Next, tentative plans to make all sorts of dumplings, the cooked-in-water guo tie kind.

Nevertheless, we must try to maintain a healthy facade of being happening and cool.

Stay true to taitaidom and/or lianness! Refrain from being too homely!

MOS on Friday then.

*


Meihui msn-ing all the way from Boston:

A Harvard T looks nicer than a MIT one cos the crest is nicer. Harvard business sch or law sch? Imagine wearing that to ur local supermarket to buy cai.

Yes, in the light of that
post (scroll to 30 Nov entry – news alert from here), possibly getting a Harvard T is a good idea. What’s a nice colour, since I doubt they have tank tops…what about windbreakers…hehe I pay you when you are back. Of course I want the law school one!!! We can be fashionable nerdies together!

*

On who’s going:

I always believe the onus is on the party who took the initiative to organise to tell who is going, whether it is a group thing or one-to-one, or it’s a tentative one-to-one but to expect expansion.

If we have fortuitously managed to establish some sort of habit ie usually we do a one-to-one, I will very naturally assume so, unless explicitly told otherwise, in which case I wouldn’t ask either.

If I don’t know you well but wouldn’t mind getting to know you better, I would yes you without posing that question. However if you failed to volunteer whether we are doing a private one or an orgy, I will fret all the way till date day. I’m unfortunately too well-bred to ask, and too face-conscious (in the sense I agree it’s petty to ask who’s going) as well. It has happened: an NUS pseudo fun crush (fun in the sense he made attending lectures and hanging out at canteen fun ie anticipating his appearance anytime, anywhere on school premises) who I barely knew asked me out during Honours year for the first time. I was 大方 about it and 暗爽 that this pseudo crush thing was kinda being reciprocated in an unexpected fashion (I always thought we would graduate without knowing each other). But I also went through all the see-saw motions of whether it is a one-to-one, wrecking havoc on my emotional adrenaline. I didn’t ask, even though I was dying to. Happily, it was a one-to-one.

One good way of getting round for the asked, who is dying to know, is to ask instead (in place of who’s going): Is just the two of us, hor?

This has the effect of making it appear that the asked person prefers to hang out with ask-er alone and also provide a lead-in to imply what you wish to know but cannot put so direct.

But to be come across as truly 大方, yes, I would advise not to ask at all and die in suspense if necessary. Cutting the nose to spite the face is not a bad mantra to live by.

A tangentially (almost off-tangent) related post for who to ask and who’s going just to share the kind of webby links and thought associations running through a girl's mind ie mine when faced with who's going and who to jio:

Social faux pas? Yup, if he calls Weixiang, and starts off by saying he's bringing along someone I know, does it mean I should bring someone we all know? Or, is it just a sitting together and moving separate ways once the score has been completely ravished by the orchestra, and I'm free to take whoever I like as my partner. Which brings us back to the original source of the problem. Who to take? And on top of that now, do I take someone who knows all three of us? And, is it a girl thing, that I'm fastforwarding so much? Like seriously, does it even matter?

Alternatively, can be like Ryan what, who just text-ed me: Want to go out with Justin, myself and maybe Eric, on New Year’s Eve?


Now that’s straight to the point. All askers should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home