The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Excuse Me, But I’m Chinese

But, but I’m Chinese, and so is he. He cannot be confronted, and I cannot close, and certainly not in that manner you proposed. I tried it just before Derrida’s demise, you know, with catastrophic results. My words just taste bad. I still remember.

The Depths of Shallowness
The Very Dead and The Very End
For The Pleasure of Seeing Him Again

Because I’m Chinese, and he is, too, and so we take the long route. We had walked readily, mostly in silence, and perhaps, in shame. Love cannot and must not come easy. There are forests to walk through, mountains to climb and stranger places to take me. Being Chinese makes it hard to be truly passionate. Sex is a no-no, but seeing each other flushed and sweaty is always a good substitute. Anyhow, I never know what to make of dates like these: dramatically Chinese in the most elaborate, pregnant and constipated sense, restrained and distant, yet close, because we are alone, by ourselves, in secluded places including a terrifying time on St John's island. It's weird, but nevertheless there are times I feel very cherished.

As an absolute aside: My concept of 暧昧 does not involve bedroom (or anywhere else) intimacy. That’s just too messy to handle in my Chinese world. (NB: And the character 暧, is pronounced as “ai”, not “ruan”. Tsk, all these pseudo SAP people…)

Then again, I may be still Chinese, but faith in his faithfulness and my own has worn thin. The China Doll is not as Chinese as she has thought.

*

Eek. You practised self-censorship and deleted a post.

I wish relationships, even pseudo ones, could be as easily erased. But the trace always spurts right across the page, in the writings one commits to restore confidence and convictions in lesser times when the memory collapses and doubt spills. Especially when I’m too sentimental not to keep them.


I know not what happened in the past (and I like to think I no longer care) but once upon a time, it appeared to mean something to two people. The words protest, on behalf of the one who has always under-read, to tell of an unlovable love story.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. The theory is a rock. Unshakeable.

Because when a SAP guy is in a stable and open relationship, he must be a pseudo-SAP, as are all of my attached SAP guy friends. Strange coincedence no doubt.

4:54 PM  
Blogger cinewhore said...

Boo Chinese. Hate Chinese people. Hate stupid Asian hangups. Hate stupid Asian mentalities. Boo boo boo.

You should hate them too. They're the reason why we're being paid so little and the company treats us like shit.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

O2: can reveal your SAP school anot? anyhow, takchek also went "ruan mei" in his deleted post.

anonymous: coincedentally, all my close SAP guy friends are not in relationships, and some have never, and definitely not due to a lack of desire on their parts (no pun intended)either.

some of us come along with invisible baggage and things become annoyingly complex when we are thrown together and there's attraction. please see the bad faith post

http://thedepthsofshallowness.blogspot.com/2005/02/bad-faith.html

Minxiu: Oh darling, but we are Chinese! Ooh, but I hate my pay too. When can we reach the monetary equivalent of government scholars??

What can we do besides hating Chinese, to improve our impoverished condition and up our sense of dignity!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Angeline said...

O2: I like 吴若权's books too! His writings exhibit a very manly, yet sensitised sentimentalism. Has a calming effect and allows you room to think through things.

A couple of my favourite lines from one of his 散文集:

爱, 使人不争气,不必赌一口气。
我不认为有风度就代表认输。

Which is what I constantly want to remind myself. I don't have to let pride get in the way. Unfortunately I'm only too Elizabeth, while someone else is not Darcy enough.

I've more 10 琼瑶 books on my shelves from early days. heh, and it's qiong, not xiong!! 望夫崖 is my all time favourite 琼瑶 classic.

I congratulate you on your excellent taste in books, as good as mine!!

on jianghu novels: i quite like 古龙 also, his 边城浪子etc. Louis Cha is of course up there with the gods :)

4:55 PM  
Blogger takchek said...

I was (and still am) a kantang, despite having attended a SAP school.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

takchek: then you have immunity from the sap "curse" no chineseness mah

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

还真不知道你原来是吴若权的“粉丝”
我仍然忠于我的深雪!

身为华人,我感到自豪;只是偶而会突发奇想,想尝试做别的国家的华人,例如:中国,台湾,香港。

小女子希望真命天子可以好好爱他的情人。

"我和僵尸有个约会II", 马家的女人会用自己头发和细绳编织成类似友谊带的信物。当她遇上能信任又在乎她的男人时,她会将信物绑在男人的左手上。它日,若女方有什么不测,男方手上的带会跟着束紧,暗示女方的生命垂危。一旦信物断掉,就是两人相隔一方。男人就得顺着心灵感应来寻找女方的尸体。

如果这是我爱你最好的距离,我愿意欺骗我自己离开你......

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home