The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

TODAY today

Because my boss appreciates me, she treated me to dinner on the Sunday she asked me to do a mall event. She also gave me 1.5 days of leave to make up for the burnt weekend.

Unfortunately, my boss is also rather forgetful as she is kind. Hence, on Monday, she called me (resting at home) to announce we have lots of work to do when I come back (!?!?).

Me: Err...okay. I can come back on Tue morning.
Boss: You mean you are not going to be in?
Me: *speechless*

So I'm working full day today. And it's my boss's turn to be off. Most unfortunately, she had a whole list of things for me to do, that kept me horribly occupied to 7pm. I ended up going home much later than usual even though she's not around. And even just now, I was typing office mails.

And she just called again to add a couple more things to tomorrow's agenda 'cos we are having a media presentation. She also reminded me to wear smart. Okay, boss.

*

The ad that I did the copywriting for came out in TODAY today. I'm pleased and proud. The whimsical touches of crawlies were my idea as well.

I told him that it was out and asked if he saw it.

He said he din have a copy of the paper.

But he went online to check it out once he got home, apparently.

He re-affirmed my belief he's quite mad when he remarked subsequently: But I think you've lost the Malay market by having a pig in the poster and the show itself.

And a couple of strange-and-not-very-nice things, he did add.

It's times like this that I'm not sure he's saying them like he means it, or he's just trying to work me up.

Cos it happens, like it always happened, many, many times, for so many years, that he'd toss up something so searingly incongruent and ridiculous (but at times surprisingly lucid at the same time such that I'm disoriented by the double entendre) just to relish my equally mock agitation.

But now that we have grown up, do the rules change? Is he still supposed to rile me and am I still supposed to get all indignant? Honestly, I believe this person says things mostly to elicit a particular (negative) reaction from me.

May I believe there is some truth in what he says? And when is that?

Does the fact he go online to look for the ad and to reply offsets all the weird things I have to put up with, just like how the wonderful surprises and plans he has for us (without consulting me at all) make up for a surreptitious silence?

Rhetoric. All rhetoric. And if you insist, as most questions, the answer is always no.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home