The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

As usual, The Lovers Who Are Not have their cryptic moment of easy but suspect intimacy

He: I’m eating dinner. Call you back?
Me: I’m outside now. Call you when I’m home.

Projecting onto the all too brief, not to mention innocuous, exchange – how old-fashionedly adorable, I read after I spoke. As usual, The Lovers Who Are Not have their cryptic moment of easy but suspect intimacy.

In the spirit of Jane Eyre who tussled with an unbearable man, dear reader, I’m afraid circumstances have thrust me before He Whom I Hoped To Stray From and the connection is one so connected that it was really rather simple to fall into the natural rhythm of things and acknowledge that we enjoy a comfortable companionship that doesn’t appear any less impactful with infrequent and inconsistent communication (plaqued with constant misgivings, misunderstandings and misreadings).

It’s so easy, if you know what I mean.

Despite being all the worlds apart and having everything else between, with nothing before us (not that I can see), 4 odd years of random togetherness have shaped and nurtured a positive, unique pattern of relating to The Other. It’s like we can make each other very happy, if we so desire and choose, provided The Other can bring himself/herself to say Something FIRST. Like how I opt to keep mum about meeting up, even though it may be The Right Thing to say, and how he din say anything on that either, when that could be just what can make us both happier personalities.

So we tussled a bit on the phone and well *fast forward* -

He: I need to get some work done by midnight.
Me: Okay you can say it then. (The intelligent reader knows obviously what I mean)
He: Say what.
Me: You have something to tell me, don’t you.
He: Tell you what. What do you mean.
Me: Don’t you have something you want to say to me (I think I sense his panic at this point)
He: What do you want me to say? *rising panic*
Me: Just say it! Just say what’s on your mind; what you want to say lah *sounding very sincere and understanding, but I was teasing all the way*
He: *repeats* Tell me what you want me to say.
Me: *getting slightly tired and sleepy coz it’s late* You got nothing to add? So er…we are prolonging this conversation?!
He: Oh. I see what you mean.
Me: So slow.
He: okay then.
Me: Say lor.
He: *steadfastly refusing to use that word* @#$%%^& (representation of some malay words)
Me: Huh? What. I can’t hear. Or I don’t understand.
He: @#$%^
Me. Okay heh. Well then.
He: yar lar.

*long pauses on both ends*

Then very brief tussle stopped (had to lar, we all so busy people) and we put down our phones.

Okay. I will say what I din say then.


Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home