The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Back To Leading An Ethical Life Without Morals

What is my ethical philosophy?

1. Nietzsche (100%)
2. David Hume (88%)

3. Jean-Paul Sartre (85%)
4. Stoics (76%)

5. Thomas Hobbes (66%)
6. Ayn Rand (56%)
7. Kant (54%)

8. Spinoza (53%)
9. Cynics (44%)
10. Prescriptivism (44%)
11. Epicureans (43%)
12. Nel Noddings (35%)
13. John Stuart Mill (30%)

14. Aristotle (28%)
15. St. Augustine (27%)
16. Jeremy Bentham (26%)
17. Ockham (24%)
18. Plato (18%)
19. Aquinas (17%)


Being a 100% Nietzschean (even though I *never* read him but I so know about Hume's impressions and passions and Satre's existentialism, bad faith and free will), I so believe that accordingly:

We have free will;
There is no God;
Social conformity should not hold us back;
The interests of others should not restrain us;
We should be passionate beings;
Masculinity, strength and passion are the highest qualities in a person;
Conventional morality is a crutch to man.

Of course, there are many other ways of putting these but you know the tune. I don't believe in morals, hence my ability to act in an altruistic way without using conventional morality to hobble along in life. I retain all rights to make a self-preserved choice after full considerations to ensure I never blame anyone for my past, present and future. I hold myself responsible and no one else if I screw up. That's my way to lead the closest kind of morally good life (even when morality is a suspect) I aspire to. A life in which no one is ever blamed for my failure and I contribute in the best manner I can and never at anyone's expense (or mine). Even if something has to go, the outcome is largely utilitarian in nature and I have no regrets, nothing long-term, anyway.

And therefore, I choose to continue working today, even though my mum was admitted to hospital (AGAIN!!!!) in the wee hours of morning due to acute abdominal pains. My sis is at SGH with her now (coz it's term break). Mum's condition is in no way critical at the moment and I will probably pop by tomorrow morning before trotting off to work again (2-8pm for this minted weekend). I suppose I could leave for hospital now instead of blogging, and I could call to be excused from work. But.

I'm really tired. Have been working non-stop for weeks. I need some quiet time to myself at home.

It's nothing particularly worrying at the moment. And so I shall be responsible and attend the event coz they are pretty short-handed. I also want to wait for a real emergency (however that is defined) before I run off, you know. 'Coz I really want to have a career (I still have a life to lead, however sad the life is, it's gonna drag on for years and years and a career is good for me and my pride), and in the long haul, surely money for the family is most important of all. I don't want to spell things out too clearly but those who understand, will. Those who can't, oh well, pls think again. Can call me to ask if you are sincere about figuring it/me out.

I'm really tired.

But I insist on leading an ethical life. I have to 对得起 myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home