The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, June 26, 2006

青春无悔 II


















It has been a crazy week of partying and late, late nights. This is to make up for not partying harder when I was younger.

*

Best Friend has joined in the cosmic forces out to domesticate yours truly and put a premium on homeliness. *resists, resists* Granted she has been experimenting with cooking for a while but baking in the middle of the night really takes the cake, and oh what a yummy one it is. Guess who will be the lucky recipients? Apparently, not me. Sob. ‘Cos the subsequent batch was an absolute disaster as she became more confident after the initial success, and thus, more adventurous, and of course, ruined everything that followed.

While Best Friend was busily baking, I was in MOS. It was the monthly I AM GORGEOUS themed party, so being the babe that I am, received my goodie bag at the door packed with Anna Sui and Redken products. Yay!

MOS is now topping the list of clubs I’ve been to most frequently, by virtue I’ve been there twice. Sharing this honour are ChinaBlack and the defunct ChinaJump. Ice Cold Beer doesn’t count (also twice) ‘cos it’s a pub. Either I don’t club a lot, or I’m fickle. Take your pick. Clue: I’m homely (sigh). Really. I may be a babe but I’m a super uncool babe. I have never stepped into Zouk, before or after its renovations – now how sad is that. The irony is I’ve been to Velvet Underground, and when I was just 22 no less.

In any case, I’m convinced that MOS only plays acceptable retro music from 1-2am. Anytime before and after, the danceable beats were sporadic and the momentum, impossible to sustain, much less climaxing. I didn’t hear Sesame Street this time but there was the Ghostbuster track -_-“ Still, MOS redeemed itself by playing a Grease Medley (give me more, give me more), a little of Beatles, Bananarama’s I Heard A Rumour etc thereby injecting some high in the crowd. People were trickling away after a while due to the lousy music and these old favourites heat up the dancefloor once more.

I wonder why people need to drink copiously when going clubbing. Or go to toilet ever so often (And I don’t have any make-up on. So no need to powder anything! Anyway it's so dark, what's the point of painting yourself brillantly and no one to see all that shimmer?!). I can seriously just stay there (assuming decent music) and do non-stop boogie-ing. As you can see from the picture, I’m drinking Pussyfoot, the ridiculously safe mocktail, while the rest were having Bacardi Freeze and Tequila Sunshine.


And don’t people work these days? The mature crowd was working the dance floor mostly. It’s super late lor! Myself, I left MOS at 3am. But I reached home at 5am due to the requisite supper obligations o_O

*

Then I became all artistic and artful, attending the playwright(’s) and director(’s) workshops at the Esplanade on Thu and Fri as conducted by Alex Broun. Yes, I actually took time off work to go for these classes in my personal capacity. That’s how desperate I am to break out of a rut for you. I felt damn good after that. Inspired. Motivated. Encouraged. Assured. Convinced. On the same Thu night, Short(er) and Sweet(er) fantastic debut in Singapore made me really happy, and grateful that I’m watching all these talents on stage. People are passionate about the arts and proud of their craft. They exist, they really do, and I can join them. Given I’ve been there, done that (sort of) for poetry and novel and the short story, maybe it’s the play I should embark on next.

*

Fri night was my primary school class gathering for my first primary school. It was honestly the first time I’m meeting some of them since I changed schools. So almost two decades have passed. I was pleasantly surprised that they all remembered my name.and I’m still part of the class in spite of the betrayal. Perhaps the pre-publicity of my arrival was very well-done. Dinner at Indochine, followed by a crazy singingalong at Party World till 2am. But I had to leave earlier to do a more insane thing. Meet my mentor cum ex-supervisor to catch Play On Earth at 2am.

Play On Earth was possibly the worst play on earth. Awful. There was no plot. So what if you have a marvelous idea of simultaneous action in Singapore, Brazil and UK. Very innovative; very creative. But that’s just a marketing gimmick if there’s no story. In fact, it was so odious; we walked out 20 minutes into the show (we were already very patient) and drove to Chinatown for supper. I ended up home only at 4am.

*

Sat night was JJ’s concert. I’m so freaking tired.

All things equal, this has been good week. I have lived out (and up to) its potential.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture! Very 'we are cantopop stars' :)
I'm glad I caught Shorter & Sweeter too, workshop included...

ruth

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home