The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Love Song For A Vampire

He was a DHS senior and at the peak of my very impressionable tender 14 years, he left a deep impression of how incredibly talented he was, musically. I was entirely unschooled in said field but I knew, the moment I saw his big hands gliding deftly, easily, over the piano keys, just how passionate and artistic he was, without even paying attention to the opening chords. It was the first time I was so captivated watching someone play. And he had produced the lovely piece of music behind the stage just for me. Song chosen: Love Song For A Vampire.

他柔和的诠释,让我非常心动。

This was probably how the obsession for big hands came about, before it mutated to veins. The senior was short (the shortest amongst all that I have ever found attractive - 1.6m? perhaps. But that was in secondary times and height, at that age, wasn’t much a considered factor) and slightly plump in a most endearing way. Armed with glasses, he looked broodingly intellectual, and I was charmed. It helped that he was a loner in the club and appeared the quietly angst-y character. The male leads in our scripts are always mysterious creatures. He was darn cute to me back then and my heart had its fair share of palpitations when he commented I have a very nice voice and those kind of things. At some point when our paths crossed frequently due to rehearsals for plays, he would start singing and urge me to join in. He has a deep melodious voice that I adore.

Of course all these happened a long, long, long, long x10 time ago. There are some things I only have the haziest memory of and others that have sunk deep, deep down, too far to retrieve and remember and I’m sure I have overromanticised plenty. But this senior, I now call to mind, with childish fondness and sentimental gladness, as I would with most from a past now far. I always wondered what happened to him. Well, he did go to HCJC and subsequently dropped out of university to pursue music. All are hearsay for the so-called ties, though tender, were tellingly tenuous. I hardly knew him.

Now I discover the adolescent crush is now a singer at 爱琴海民歌餐厅

Eeks. It’s definitely him gone kinda beng in the metrosexual way and giving me all the wrong vibes this time.

But apart from that, it’s quite inspirational, really. To know someone I actually know is singing and writing songs for a living, struggling in his own way.

He says that: Believe in your dreams and you will get there. Just like me!

Can I request we go and listen to Qisheng together: Meihui, Minxiu & Peiyun and whoever from those heady heydays? I am too shy.

On a separate note (non-musical and so no pun intended), I guess this means there are some crushes you do grow out of and are not afraid to openly admit when you do grow up, that once upon a time, you had concealed a budding liking and admiration of the most innocent sort for this person.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GAWD. I actually know him! Hah! Means I had seen you on DHS campus before.

Small world.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Angeline said...

Are you his year? 'Cos I can rattle off more names, give and take a year inclusive.

Then you must agree that he is very talented lah. Go 爱琴海 when you are in Singapore and catch up!

Hah! Which doesn't mean you have seen me on DHS campus before.

But it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling that you know him.

Warm world.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, he looks really skinny now. I would go with you to see him if i am in singapore. amazing!

qw

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home