The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Tell Me More, Tell Me More

This is a life of illusion, a life of control
Mixed with confusion - what're we doin' here?

It’s official that my close friend Chinyi is a freak. She aced everything for her Masters modules. I know not anything that can possibly be more academically revolting. I mean, like eeeewwwww, how uncool. How impossible. How, sigh, admirable. That said, she just came back from a very exciting conference, having presented her paper successfully (garnered interest and keen listenship) in Ireland. I hope she bought nice Irish things for me. Yes, Chinyi, nice, by my definition. That’s how I can consider overlooking your bookish overachiever status and start hanging out together again. You read me, you, you geek!!!


*

We take the pressure and we throw away

Conventionality belongs to yesterday
There is a chance that we can make it so far
We start believing nowthat we can be who we are

More on gifts: I received a Skittles Berry Punch (Wild Berry) Lip Smacker ie Lip Balm from a senior in another department today. Yummy. And I hope Minxiu doesn’t die, not before he passes me what he bought for me from UK. Unless he has a ready will stating clearly all that he has bequeathed to me. Shimin’s trip to Taiwan next week should yield a bagful of pretties for me too.

More on the receiving end: I have also received the flu bug from anonymous. Currently dying from a nose that runs too diligently and suffering flesh tormented by feverish aches. These must be acknowledged as the first of aging signs. Usually I’m floored by the standard bug 2-3 times a year. However, for this seasonal run, the time lapse between the last and the latest is too close for comfort. I need to start caring about the corporal and be guarded about what goes in, on top and out. Which means maintaining healthy and moderate food intake, slapping on moisturizer and building up good digestive system. Took MC yesterday but since my invite to Grease was the same night, I had to drag myself out of the house.

*

You better shape up
Cause I need a man
And my heart is set on you
You better shape up
You better understand
To my heart I must be true
Nothing left, nothing left for me to do

Grease can only be fun, being all froth and frivolity, at least on first appearances. It also happened to be the one musical I know inside out, thanks to countless rewatching of the movie. The stage cast was highly energetic, and I warmed naturally to the infectious tunes and was won over instinctively, bless their dancing feet and grooving hands, despite the emptiness of the house (estimated 30% filled). It was definitely a creditable performance that was put up. Pity about the venue though. And I would know. Indoor Stadium is hardly the best place to stage musicals. The stage is simply too far away. Not to mention it looked extra empty on a bad show day (in terms of ticket sales), when it is just empty, if you know what I mean.

The house gave me very good seats, but it was still far, by virtue of venue. Thank goodness I attended the Grease press conference earlier, such that I do know what Danny and Sandra look like. To be fair, from afar, they do look like the real McCoy (actually close-up also okay). They even sound alike!! Though Sandra didn’t boogie too well in “You’re The One That I Want”.

My favourite character in movie and musical is really Rizzo, and it is only partially due to the alliteration in writing. She and the vamped up Sandra provide slant to an otherwise squeaky clean high school romance. Bad girls do have more fun. Oh, and curls rule. Curly hair is what makes you hot. Grease bears testimony to that.

*

Joyance gave birth to a baby girl at 12.35pm yesterday, as proudly announced by father Abel. I was happy for my friends.

I was also thinking just how sad it is that one of my very initial reactions was to consider smsing Mr Veins about it. Cue for “Hopelessly Devoted To You” to play in the background. IT IS SAD. Especially when they are more my friends than his.

Tangential happenings so-called “kinda connected to him” are not to be taken as cosmic or subliminal signs that I can safely contact him without flaming shame or embarrassment. I must not test waters lest I drown.

Ok. Bygones. It’s just the occasional phrase we all go through. When we hit a bad patch or are just plain bored, we naturally look to the past for inspiration and attempt to convince ourselves that: that person was the best. And we know it’s not true.

I think it’s not.

Well, I hope it’s not.

It turned colder that's where it ends
So I told her we'd still be friends
Then we made our true love vow
Wonder what she's doin' now
Summer dreams ripped at the seams, but oh, those summer nights

And so I wonder, what’s he doing now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home