The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Since morning, I've been on a quest to buy Michael Chiang's Private Parts & Other Play Things. All the major book stores, physical and online, dun carry it!MPH, Times, Borders, Kinokuniya, Select, Acma etc etc; I checked them all and each nope-d me happily in turn.

So I turned to Shinhao, my last vestige of hope and last line of defence as always, who can be relied on whenever I have a sudden desire (often irrational and I have to have it like Immediately Now-Now) to own something akin to the Holy Grail. Oi, oi I sms-ed My Miracle Man. How, how, I've tried them all. You got other places to recommend?

Sometimes Shinhao will become an extremely, seriously reasonable person just so to irritate hell out of impatient me. Thus he replied correctly: If all the books are sold out, they are sold out. If there are no new print runs, nothing can make them re-appear on the shelves.

Well, that I know too, you stupid man. But you were supposed to conjure up my miracle, that's why I asked. Quite miffed and miserable me, in mock anguish.

He: Michael Chiang is your colleague right. Go and approach him directly for the book lah.

Me: Huh? Why is he my colleague? Like duh.

He: I retract my previous assertion. Michael Chiang has recently left as CEO of X Publishing.

When I read that sms, i totally cracked up.

Me: Urgh. You fool. Michael Chiang of Theatreworks exists as a disparate and separate entity from Michael Chiang, ex-CEO of X Publishing in Singapore.

He: Okie. Further retraction.

Lawyers. Stupid people.

Anyhow, while all these were going on, I'm ingenious and efficent enough to track down the publisher (the source of sources) and yay, they have the book!!! So if I go down during lunch to Chinatown, I can own the book in no time. Sometimes, my sheer independence, never-say-die attitude and desire to own something really get me going somewhere (in this case, good,ole Chinatown). I'm so clever, I pronounced to Miracle Man subsequently. See, so clever hor?

He: Yes, I am actually looking for the landmark books website now. But no longer (now that you found it).

Okay lor, at least our minds run the same. But yay, I got the book.

Shinhao makes me laugh. He is such a dear. Irritating though, no doubt.

*

Exactly a year ago, I managed to hand in my brilliant thesis (Exactly a year later, I'm to discover it's not immortalised in the damn library but 'nuff about that crappy revelation). Anyway, a moment of mild mourning for those heady (headache and heartbreak too) days and slightly more intoxicating company. They have morphed into Mediocre Memories; therefore no longer quite mine. But for a short while, darlings, you are missed and I quite foolishly bothered to ask, why no mass gatherings huh huh.

*

I'm watching Untold Scandal with Kaile tonight 'coz he has free tickets. So I called up Jarvis and coaxed him to say he doesn't mind not watching the show with me so that I can have the *moral* (oh the unproven existence of 'moral' is such a pain!!!) ground ie oh see he doesn't want to watch with me that badly; it's all right; I'm doing both of us a favour.

*

New job, new responsibilities, doing things I believe in and love, with people I utterly respect. Go me! Yay, me!

*

And Shinhao is definitely right on one account: my materialistic nature. I can be mad at you but get me something pretty and I may consider being friendly all over again. Bribe me with bags and earrings, or just enjoy making me happy and smiley. I finally received the bag Chin Keak got me from Hong Kong. It's so funky! Kaile, pls learn. I'm using the bag today so use it as a template to make less disasterous purchases on my behalf (or for me) in future. The bag just screams *ME*. Heh. The earrings April got me are nice too. What can I say? Jude's going to Bangkok, Grace's (neither the lit or philo Grace but a colleague/friend) jetting off to Tokyo. More earrings and bags?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home