The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, March 21, 2004

Many, many years ago (20?),

Me: Ma, want to learn piano...

Mum: We are too poor, how about drawing classes? *promptly enrolled whining daughter in art classes*

*

Recently, watching the female lead playing piano on TV,

Me *accusatorily*: Ma, see the parent in the show no matter how poor also must scrimp so that daughter can have piano lessons. How come you cannot huh.

Mum: Aiyah, you know how poor we were a not, Very, Very Poor. You got attend art classes what.

Me: It's different. Why you cannot save the $$$ meant for art class and let me learn piano instead?

Mum: Piano Very Expensive. Anyway, your hand so small, sure cannot play properly one. Dun waste money.

*

Even more recently, sounding Mum out on the prospect of my learning to play the guitar (I may be contributing wholly to household expenses and an independent, respectable earner and all, but when it comes to spending regularly a certain amount, I'm not that independent yet not to "consult" my Mum and ask for her permission, even if the $$$'s all mine to spend :( The perils of being filial and morally chinese ...) ,

Me: Ma, I was thinking of learning guitar, since I din manage to learn piano when young. Now that I got earn some $$, may I?

Mum: Why you want to waste $$$ huh? I say dun learn; you want to learn then go (urgh!!! the ultimate chinese mother's way of saying you dare to defy me and learn, you die, no peace).

Me: I just wish I knew how to play something...

Mum: Aiyah, your hand so small how to play the guitar?! Waste money only.

*

So currently, I'm still not rich enough, my hands are never big enough and I'm only filial enough to respect my Mum's wishes.

Yes, I super gian to learn how to play the piano and guitar since young but my plans were always thwarted and my physical imperfections also convinced my Mum I shouldn't (excuse? but hands too small also can play wat; I remember a Japanese serial in which the girl also overcame this to be a professional pianist).

Well, I sure hope someone can play for me then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home