The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Offhand, reporters ought to take care of their phrasing and MPs, their choice of words:

Mr Charles Chong (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) said that while he was "no cunning linguist", he wondered if the oral sex legislation was still in line with today's mores - from The Straits Times (H9), 13th March 2004.

I infer from that single sentence which incidentally opened the serious article:

(1) Pun that backfired. Poor Mrs Chong. Get it? Get it? :)

(2) The word "wondered" really cast a bad light on the man. There is no need for wonder, obviously the law has lost all fashionable sense with regards to being orally adventurous. One would be an idiot to wonder and hesitiate pulling punches at what's so glaring and in-your-face. If the reporter had chosen the word instead of using a direct Chong quote, my goodness, I would sue, or at least rebut in writing that I was doing more than wondering if I were Mr Chong.

Imagine, just one sentence and I concluded this much without scanning through the remaining paragraphs. Literature, you have ruined my ability to read neutrally. Philosophy, you have made me an unrepentant critical reader.

*

I wish I knew 梁文福, was taught by him or had attended a couple of his lectures...my closest encounter with the man was in DHS where he signed my (his) book and asked me how old I was when I told him I loved his early xinyao songs (oops). That's about it. I still have the book. He is superbly talented in his youth. His best works were composed around my current age. Why the sudden mention? I just discovered that one of my favourite melodies by 南方二重唱 was actually written by him!! It's the legendary 红豆词2000, one of his most acclaimed early works, which I never thought to connect the two. Huh, so they are one and the same. Here's one (and only?) guy I won't mind taking the initiative to know if we were in uni at the same time.

今日一曲相思红豆 不为你们哪个消瘦
年少轻狂为你谱的新愁 他日你们还记的否
痴情笑我 爱强说愁
蓦然回首 春华已过
才子佳人神话代代依旧 菱花镜里白了多少 少年头

*

On a whim, instead of spending lunch money, I went on a shopping spree. Yay, reward myself for starvation in other words. Yup, all by myself too. Feeling slightly anti-social and so cancelled my pror appointments to spend time by myself and basically just rot at home and irritate the hell outta mum. Got milk (lotion), a couple of casual tops, and also met yet another old salesperson who asked if i wanted to rid my freckles. I like my freckles most of the time, till moments when I meet ppl like you, so no, thank you, fly out of my way please.

*

Went to Yamaha School on yet another whimsical whim and took for brochures home. Shld I? Take up guitar lessons? It's gonna be a long term commitment if so and I need to buy a guitar to boot. Considering but the thought lingers.

*

I want more pretty tops. Apparently, my next stint can wear jeans All The Time. Woah.

*

Errands to run for the next few days:

Pick up FilmFest booklet; it's still not out! Pick up the top that I ordered. Buy Saturday Night Fever tickets. Watch 20,30,40. Apply and use up leave completely. Reply to an email 3 months old and which I shld really finish up. I was half way through 3mths ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home