The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Naohiro-san

I was suitably amused as I walked along Coleman Street last evening, when every single reasonably 1.8m tall and lean male clad in long sleeved shirt and black pants threatened to induce a heart attack as they make their way past me. Some memories just never falter while we simply fall out of it after a while.

*

If there ever existed a guy who first aroused the primal awareness of masculinity, it must have been Naohiro-san. Needless to say, this is a pseudonym to protect the dignity of this mock-confessional entry as I introduce this new person who re-entered my life recently as a result of the omnipotent Facebook.

I first knew Naohiro-san in college where we belonged to the same ecas as my then Best-Friend-Who-Was-Not-Ruth (BFWWNR). In those days, BFWWNR and I were happy, giggly, heady schoolgirls literally because we had our respective crushes to go gaga-crazy over: me on a senior and she on Naohiro-san. We would practically call each other everytime we had an “update” that went along the lines of “oh my God, I spotted him in the canteen today!!! *screams of ecstasy*. For example. Well, you must remember we were not in the same class then and can only have our distant orgasms through chanced encounters and lecture theatres and staged meetings (eg. waiting at the bus-stops). We were young then lah, and still very shy.

But I have digressed too much. Anyway, in my first year, I didn’t think very well of Naohiro-san because he is too reticent and reserved to the extent that I actually believed he’s slow-witted and dull (then again, it’s not like our paths crossed very often). Well, not that my own crush fared much better in terms of personality but he was cute enough for me to overlook the non-existent virtues (Ha, I bet So and So is reading this right now and wondering if he used to be the object of my unquestioning adoration. Dare to ask me in person and I will tell you).

Anyway, I somehow got to know Naohiro-san better in my second year through camps and more banners-in-the-making. He was hilarious, when he wants to be and while I did not harbour incestuous thoughts towards my friend’s crush, I did notice that woah, 身材很棒哦! It was probably then that the inchoate attraction to veins semi-bulging from a tanned muscular arm started to burgeon (no pun intended).

By then my crush had graduated and I became a lot more focused on my studies and ECAs. I paired with Naohiro-san quite often in the camps (dun ask me – we were assigned to be a team) and it was during one of the kids’ camp that I found him truly quite attractive in the way he interacted with the children and eeeks, I turned red when we had to hold hands for a game. The kids being kids, kept pestering whether we were together (is she your girlfriend? Is he your boyfriend?). To our credit, we refused to dignify the questions with an answer.

Fast forwarding, college being college, you get easily dogged by ridiculously spurious rumours from nothing. One fine Friday evening, Naohiro-san was seen walking me to the library by his classmates before we set off for our weekly astronomy session and argh, the next thing I heard, is the alarming newsflash of who likes who and is dating. All these point to, really, is that Naohiro-san never goes to the library and is never seen with a girl. *rolls eyes*

Anyway, BFWWNR got wind of it and was upset. I was upset that she was upset. Naohiro-san did the typical guy thing under this weird circumstance ( he definitely knew BFWWNR likes him) – stay away from all gatherings, stray away from our gang and be a nomad. And I was upset that Naohiro-san responded in the way he did which I feel was highly inappropriate. For one thing, BFWWNR never got to see him again in the most tangential of circumstances and I felt it was my fault, somehow. BFWWNR and I quietly drifted apart when we went to university.

10 years later, we are all meeting again, the three of us, and the rest of the astronomy gang, thanks to Facebook. I still have lovely memories of starry skies, suppers and late night stoning sessions on the rooftop. Meanwhile, Naohiro-san and I have started chatting on msn and filling each other on the gaping years. He comes across as more outgoing and open, asking all the right questions at the right time to keep the conversation going. So I hope this means he’s not going to flee at boh liao things now that we are grown-ups. I also hope he doesn’t remember the very brief and odd period in college.

Anyway, as Naohiro-san’s representation on Facebook has been a question mark so far, I wondered aloud to the organiser of the gathering if this means he has become fat . In private, I wonder if he has become less buffed. After all, he used to be the epitome of manhood in the naivety of my girlhood. How can my ideal just let himself go!


*

Extract from yesterday’s msn:

Me: Are you attending the gathering?

Naohiro-san: Yes, I am. Are you?

Me: Of course. Can’t wait to see everyone again. (then as an afterthought, I decided to sneak in slyly) Have you changed much?

Naohiro-san: Yah, I have grown fat. Very, very fat.

Me: *mind in a blank and wondering how to respond now that the unthinkable has happened*

Naohiro-san: You think I become fat right? Hahaha

Me: Er…I never say it to your face leah

Naohiro-san: XXX told me you were speculating because of the question mark on Facebook. I never put up pictures ‘cos I’m seldom on Facebook and I dun have many pictures of myself lah.

*

Orh. I see. But it still invites speculation on whether he has maintained the 很棒身材 what. Guess I have to go to the gathering to find out.


And I bumped into BFWWNR today while out shopping with Ruth.

1 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

I have written my Black Friday post, which I promised so long ago.

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home