The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Arts & The Un-Artful Dodger

I think I have been too much of The Epicurean and Hedonist lately.

Refrain. Restrain. And Abstain.

Tonight was my first time doing chichi fine dining at one of those highly recommendable little obscure *read exclusive* restaurants specializing in European cuisine. I figure I should give fine European dining a chance to impress, no matter how partial and fond I am of Chinese food.

I ended up in Sage, with Wang Yun as my stoic companion through the four course dinner. The verdict? Well, apart from living in poverty for the week to come, I’m still hopelessly in love with Chinese food. The intense burst of eclectic flavours in European cuisine is too much to bear. After all, I’m Chinese and subtlety wins hands down. I am a simple person and I appreciate my food to resemble what they are supposed to. Too pretty, too blended, too erm buried, is weird. I had an appetizer that had Italian parsley foam, and yes, it was firmly foamy. Desserts were lovely though. I enjoyed the chocolate soufflé!

To my stoic companion, thank you for going along with a whimsical request. I hope the dinner first wasn’t too bad even if you disregard Experience. I promise subsequent ones will be zi-char at worst – strictly Chinese.

Before the extravagant dinner, we went to the old Supreme Court to catch part of the Singapore Biennale exhibits. I like!!! I’m only beginning to cultivate a liking for installation art but damn, there are so many things to read into – it’s bloody fascinating lor. Of course I could be entirely biased because of the literal premise where the exhibits are residing. The old Supreme Court is soooooo cool! I’ve been to the new one but the sparkling newness can’t compare to the obvious heritage and tradition pervading every musky corner of its much, much older cousin. I would dearly love to work here and breathe in justice, equality and democracy. Yes, in that place, all clichés are justified true beliefs. Ideals, they are a reality when I stepped into the old building. Do go, just to take in what the old Supreme Court is like, if not for the biennale. I was so enamoured and curious that I took the opportunity (and liberty, pun intended) to open the drawers and cupboards just to get a sense of the people who used to work here, via any forgotten article (again, pun intended).


Plus, we did get a brief workout by exploring Fort Canning Park.

And way before all these was a late morning ktv session with my dear friend and her boyfriend.

A day well-spent, what more can I ask for. Hmm, a lot more but I’m happy. I could be happier without the various thought associations so commonly conjured among the weak plaguing me but damn, I’m weak, can. So while I’m happy, I also think of silly things like will the boyfriend tell
him about me, if they talk about me in the first place and the ultimate: even more thinly tangential ones like oh, Supreme Court, am I walking in the places the legal one has passed through so many years ago.

Those days are gone.

There are times we can be too sentimental for our own good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home