The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Girl In The Meadow

He made a handsome picture against the setting sun as he waited for yours truly most patiently in the corporate heart of the city.

(And to think once upon a time, it was someone other, The Other, in another context, but this same place, waiting for me after the day's work has been relinquished. NB: Yes, relinquished ie not done.)

It's quite lovely to see him again, after a month's lapse, discounting phone calls and sms-es. Deeply dimpled and all for me! Yay!

We strolled to China Square and settled ourselves comfortably in Old Saigon, a charmingly quaint Vietnamese restaurant tucked away in a corner.

It was some time during dinner that we talked about Friendship. I probably started it by confessing that I have broken up with Best Friend (now an official axed ex) via sms. We were getting too comfortable with each other, I recounted, or rather she was. And I still wanted to feel loved and enjoy the pleasure of being wanted. So all that familiarity drove me to conclude we are nearing the end. She could no longer speak without offending me and that led me to feel she was careless towards me. And I summed up by saying well, so far you come across as a very nice person. You probably wouldn't treat your friends that way.

He interrupted solemnly to say that while I may think he's very nice, he's quite sure (which I agreed) we would, at some point, quarrel eventually. As with his close friends Mr L & Mr B. Which I registered internally that I was acknowledged as A Close Friend officially. I wasn't sure previously. In the sense, I know we share stuff that matters and we are close but, well, there has been no official crediting of either party till now.

In any case, he's going to Bintan in late August and yes, he's gonna hunt down that painting for me. Especially since he's staying in the same resort as I did previously.

So we yakked a bit further about friends and expectations. Got asked nicely by the restaurant to leave as they were closing (it was only 9.30pm ). Walked to Boat Quay. Yakked more. Drove home. Parked car at my block and talked more. Actually we chatted till 11.30pm. Well.

Well, I guess it's okay to be in the thick of singlehood-doom when you have friends who can offer you the kind of company, comfort and care that makes you feel loved. While he's far from being my new Best Friend, he's certainly, at this moment, eons improved from my axed ex.

















The painting that he liked best when I showed him the photos of said stall
















The stall: check out the blue nude painting! I thought it was very artistically done too. Well, check out everything!
















One of the owners and painters. It was his nude veined arm and naked torso that caught my eye before the paintings ever did.
















The Heart Of The Ocean: The Heart Of My Desire: He asked me what feelings did the painting stir in me, such that I want to own it. I threw out a string of conflicting and irrelevant adjectives: courage, vulnerability, nostalgia, contemplation, liberty, loneliness...

But really, it speaks to me, because she looks lost in her thoughts. Is she missing someone or missing something?

1 Comments:

Blogger AL RULES said...

i am spam...

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home