The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Friday, August 11, 2006

iPod & iDress & iSin

I have resolved, with renewed determination, that this week will be the week that I shall buy me an iPod. As Mr Dimples never fails to remind me, I have been talking about getting one since last year, and simply never got down to it. We both agree that the price cannot be a real factor, given that I can splurge $200+ on a bracelet, or skirt, or haircut + treatment. Maybe that’s the whole point. That’s always something better, and cheaper to buy. An iPod, after all, would make me part close to triple of that amount (assuming the new 60GB now that it is 45% slimmer than its original counterpart) and gaining only one item, as opposed to three.

Nevertheless, realizing that I’ve not made any major buys for this month (apart from getting the usual haircut + treatment at Action Salon, Paragon), I noted gladly that it will be the perfect time to acquire and end this eternal deferral.


I am so serious about it that I called up Minxiu in the afternoon and made him say he’ll share/upload his music collection with/for me (and we have been through this before). After which I called April to arrange for the purchase after we have watched a movie that has been planned for the coming Sunday.

Then, as with all well-laid plans, you consider an abortion, most unexpectedly.

*

Feeling bored today, I decided to go window shopping, with the casual intent to buy something light (easy on the eye, on the body, on the wallet) if something is catching, and fetching enough.

Didn’t see anything I like and was extremely tempted to hop onto a cab. But bearing in mind the impending (huge) monetary loss that was scheduled to take place over the weekend, I fought valiantly against the natural taitai instinct in me and argued with myself that I ought to be a good heartlander girl and save that $15.

The easiest way to persuade me to take public transport ie MRT was to find company home. So I tried the one and only person who I believe could still be in office at 7pm: Wang Yun, who has finally graduated from architecture and is working very near me (in fact we just did lunch two days ago). And so he was. So happily I said to let me know when he is to leave his work, to meet me at City Hall and that meanwhile, I shall browse the shops a little longer.

Before I knew it, it was close to 8pm. Nothing fanciful and so nothing I fancy. My phone has neither ring nor sms to send it into orgasmic vibrations either. Hmm. So walking past Blum, I decided to enter and poke through the numerous sundresses so in season now. There can’t be any harm right. I have never bought anything from there before.

But of course there’s always a first. And obviously there has to be a gorgeous item waiting to seduce weak-willed me. The dress was of a classic and classy design that I was vaguely on the lookout for. The pattern was simple, yet elegant. I looked pretty in it. Er. So. I glanced casually at my phone as I changed out. Eeks. He’s almost here. And quickly I swiped my card and committed myself.

Another casual look (moral of the story: casual looks are a bad idea. Stare intently. Before. Not at the aftermath) at the receipt and I nearly choked. Did the sales girl cheat me? I thought the price tag read $158. How come now $238. Gulped. I’ve never paid this much for a gu-niang/lady dress. Ahhhhhhhhhh. All it took was 10 minutes and an sms that came later. So much for saving on the $15.

$238 poorer. But I shall still get the iPod.

*


Newsflash: Anyone keen on the 50th anniversary dinner?

1 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

What the fuck is that glowing ball in Mr Kiw's hands supposed to be? It's freaky!

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home