The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Righting My Writes

Since 2003, I have been very, very tempted to attempt this, to re-instill the discipline to continue writing my novels (so many, many drafts and only 1 novel fully completed, plus 6 short stories – that could well be worked into another book), never mind that they are all in Chinese. Anything English are usually blog entries and poetry.

I have fobbed off taking up the challenge because of standard clichéd reasons, such as too busy, bad timings (absolutely so, all the time, especially last year) etc. All the more reasons to join in the writing foray, isn’t that so?

In any case, Woolf was definitely spot on about the absolute necessity of having money and a room of one’s own in order to write. I work, because there is no other way of getting the cash (and I’m paying back my sugar company in kind), and hence time to write is written off, as simple as that.

I haven’t been writing at all, if we discount entries and dismiss releases/reports/replies in general. So. I’m telling myself sternly now, to write, damnit, write, just write, anything!

Yes, I do this reminder thing periodically to yell at myself that I was never meant to be only doing whatever I am doing. No comfort zone, please. No corporate airs, please. No easing into taitai-dom and doing frivolous things. I’m supposed to be even more carefree than that – a struggling writer with tons to say, who will be published someday.

I am a writer, damnit! So, write! Be writer-ly! Don’t be distracted!

I blame the men I’m seeing. They don’t quite ignite the indignation anymore, and thus there’s no impetuosity and impetus to scribble everything down immediately.

Whatever. Shut up. Just finish those drafts.

*

From 10 months ago,
Still, with the coming of 2005, it'd be timely to remind myself again to be focused and not to lose sight of what I have always wanted to do. I have chosen my calling and I mustn't be distracted at any cost.

So. Yes. I want to write full-time, as a novelist, poet. I already have my manuscripts, my stories and I shall continue to write more and more. To be published. I cannot abandon what gives meaning and purpose to my life. How busy and tired and tiresome life gets, I must remember. That I need to transcend all the pettiness and write all that matter. It's that simple; it's all that matters. I remember now.


Other Related Entries
1.
Will I ever write again?

2. Blogging is not Writing

3 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

The most disciplined of writers, for example, Haruki Murakami, set aside a few hours each day just for writing.

So for example, he chooses to write from 9am to 11am each day. At that time, there can be no appointments, no breakfast, no meetings, no sex, no nothing. Just writing. Even if it's bad, even if it's crap. He sits there and he writes. At 11am, even if he's in the middle of something brilliant, he stops, and picks it up the next day.

Of course, you're a busy person. So for example, if you set aside the half hour before you sleep each day to write something, I'm sure you can get a substantial amount within a decent period of time. It all boils down to willpower and discipline - both of which I severely lack, I'm afraid.

But hey, you could always give it a shot. It works for Murakami.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

but, but i already set aside time to blog! :x

can we truly transcend all that hinders only when there is no such thing as occupation to eat up time, i mean, to occupy us?

you are in the best position to write, ceteris paribus, don't fritter the chance.

7:45 AM  
Blogger A Simple Man said...

it is never too late or too busy to write. if you want to be a writer, go and write.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home