The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Of Legal Sharks & Media Hounds

It is an axiom that the media wields more power than the law. But lawyers and law-makers can’t bring themselves to believe this universal (and self-evident) maxim. Hence, they insist on challenging us to a debate with this motion last evening, thereby setting up their inevitable humiliation and ruin on stage.

Of course, having Kumar and Joe Augustin as the speakers helped immensely, Then again, the law team has no lack of infamous personalities like SCs Chelva Rajah and Philip Jeyaretnam. Even Adrian Tan (author of The Teenage Textbook) was One Of Them.

Whatever. We win. The media won. So. Don’t mess with us.

Mr Veins was there too as a last minute decision. I was pleased to see him at the pre-event cocktail. From afar, I looked on with curiosity at the smattering of people he spoke to. Were they his colleagues? There was a very tall girl talking to him. Hmmm. Shyly (yes, shyly, not traumatized or anything) I turned away and pretended to fiddle with my handphone. Very shortly after, he walked up me and asked if I have eaten. But my mock fascination with phone has become real. My supervisor, whom I love and respect dearly, has arrived and I needed to meet her. So I hurriedly excused myself when he was nudging me towards the food table. When I walked past him again, with her by my side and a disposable cup of red wine in my hand, I glanced up and he had a blank expression on his face. I think he motioned at me to follow him and sit together with his friend (male) when he walked past my seat again and caught me waving happily at him. But I couldn’t. And indeed, why should I.

Whatever. We win!!! Ha, now I can lord over him with this little victory. My profession is the best (Even if his pay is comparably much, much higher than mine as a DPP).

That reminds me, I am supposed to redeem a lunch/dinner treat from him. When we were betting who is more earning more moolah. Well, I will save it for a really rainy day.

I’m sorry that he is always so buried in his work. He went straight back to office after the event ended, which was past 10pm by then.

But I don’t care. I have my own plans. That is, meeting Ryan, YQ and YQ’s female companion in
Jazz@South Bridge. Continuously spewing happy nonsense like a 女中豪杰, pretending to be 淑女 by drinking camomile tea in the bar, ending up at Geylang for Dim Sum midnight supper and all, I can have my own adventures, thank you very much.

Addendum: In midst of being self-congratulatory, I wonder all over again whether it is a tragedy that I’m so independent and self-sufficient by both choice and circumstance, with regards to Mr Veins. If he should ever want more of me, and I of him, seriously, that’s gonna pose a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home