The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, October 03, 2005

On Cheese and Children

Mr Dimples: How can you not eat the brinjals? I love the brinjals here! They are the best!

Me: *mock shudder* Fine, eat my share, please. PLEASE.

Mr Dimples: You have to eat one piece!

*

In the end, we went for niang doufu, as YQ was sick. I still don’t care much for niang doufu, even if it’s supposedly the best. Bland, really, and at 50cents per piece, it was daylight robbery. Plus, I don’t do brinjals, or chillies either, for that matter, and no amount of meat stuffing inside them is gonna con me into eating them.

Inane conversation followed. A threesome is always enjoyable, especially when two very pleasant guys are determined to be agreeable and make you happy.

Strolled along the East Coast/Katong stretch all the way to Katong Mall to eat the Awfully Chocolate ice-cream. Living up to its name, it was decadently thick and rich, and I felt quite sick towards the last few spoonfuls.

Then we drove to the cheesecake café and plonked ourselves there till it was almost closing. Apparently, reservations must be made (according to YQ who booked on our behalf). Hmmm, the cheesecakes were nothing to rave about but it is a rather nice place to chill and chat – opens past midnight!

It was altogether a very funny and fun night. But the conversation at the cheesecake café was weirder than weird. No cheese (pardon the pun) but sheer bizarre-ness. Mr Dimples started off this whole thing about how important it is to carry on the line, yes, 传宗接代 (an offshoot that grew to become the main thrust when we were before that, talking about the DHS scholar/senior who got embroiled in a potential scandal – the pregnancy, lah). I think my horrified face revealed how I felt. And in case he didn’t get the full picture (which he didn’t), I calmly explained that I would very much prefer if I have children because of personal choice and that I like the guy enough to put myself through the whole agonizing process. He was somewhat surprised, to put it mildly, that I don’t feel the need or see the importance of 传宗接代ing. Not per se for sure, I’m sure you know what I mean.

So we went on quite a while about that, and some other man/woman issues that were quite complex for a relaxed Friday night. Only stopped when our brains went into simple mode, ie too late and tired.

Thanks to Mr Dimples for driving me home and Best Friend for accompanying me before he picked me up for dinner.

*

Scenario: Taking my shopping stuff from the back seat. Time: 12.40am

Me: Bye and Thanks.

Mr Dimples: *Turning back from the driver’s seat* Wait! How do you pronounce that word on your shopping bag?

Me: Er..Chomel? (NB: I bought two pretty babydoll tops from Chomel that same day)

Mr Dimples: Come again?

Me: Really, you don’t have to know now unless you are buying stuff for a girl. Chomel carries only ladies’ wear and accessories lah.

Me: Okay. Bye!

Mr Dimples: Wait!

Me: Wah lau. What now?

Mr Dimples: *pointing to the bottle of half consumed Ice Mountain which I had bought together with him and YQ* Isn’t that yours?

Me: *rolls eyes but he might have missed it* Yes, you’re absolutely right. But you could just leave it in your car anyway. It is *stressing* nothing incriminating.


Me: Really gotta go! So tired. Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home