The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, September 19, 2005

好寂寞

In today’s Sunday Times:

(1) My Lit Hons classmate, Yaomin and her yummy eatery “British Chippy” at Far East Plaza. Don’t play, play, okay. It’s a whole full-page coverage, albeit devoted to the wrong food item. I didn’t find the fried Mars bars particularly enticing. The salt and vinegar fish and chips were a huge draw for me. I started visiting the eatery early this year when I stumbled upon it by sheer accident (Hey, aren’t you my long-lost ex-hapless literary wannabe?). It’s really hard work, she and Joanne worked like 7 days a week, at least 10 hs everyday until recently when business has stabilised and they recruited one part-timer the last we chatted.

I still remember when I was really down one day due to work (horrendously harassed by two old passé dickheads in the morning), I popped over to say hi and asked forlornly if they were hiring. Joanne laughed and said she couldn’t afford me. That’s all I needed to break into a smile. Well, the eatery has great potential, I tell you. My friends just haven’t quite mastered the art of media relations, publicity and promotions, yet. Let’s hope this coverage is a bang-bang beginning with more to come.

Well, great girls (did I mention Yaomin is sweet and Joanne is suave?), decent and cheap fare – so do drop by to buy from them.

(2) Saw SY’s byline again and I giggled – tendency to do that everytime I come across it. Now SY is only a year older than I am but he looks like an uncle in that totally unflattering shot. Like serious, in real life he is rather cute.

(3) And that’s Aaron’s article (more on bloggers and sedition from our PM) on front page news. Ruth – I thought Aaron does the sports desk previously – permanent crossover now?

My friends are hitting the headlines all over the place. Imagine 4 friends mentioned in the national paper in the same day. I long for The Day I see familiar and friendly faces in political line-ups. The day will come and things will change. I have always believed in fairies (and fairy tales).

This belief has been strengthened by watching Cinderella Man in which Russell Crowe is The Man.

I, too, shall triumph over all earthly setbacks, for even if disappointments and disillusions galore threaten failure, it will always be only temporary.

I had my material triumphs yesterday. It was one of those magical days during which everything I tried on looked fantastic on me. Everything fits! And flatters! So, I acted the part of the bratty young socialite and swept away everything, nary a care about holes in wallets or pockets. A few hundred dollars poorer because of the very pretty belted jacket, fine skirt, lovely jade rose pendant and classy earrings/necklace set in chic blue/pink/yellow hues in hip mother-of-pearl design, but also infinitely happier. Now I just need to find that Marks and Spencer gypsy/beachy beaded tanktop in size 8 and I’ll be a Cheshire Cat. It’s quite sad but I do get plenty of kicks out of material triumphs. It makes it much easier to face life and work and everything else actually.

I just caught the local theatre production of Quills with Minxiu. Good stuff. Excellent set design. Wonderful acting from the person playing Marquis de Sade. For those who only want to know the titillating bits, the person was totally naked with his appendage in full swinging view for close to 2/3 of the show. But that’s really not the point. His craft was exquisite and he voices the part as it should be – alternating between the crafty, the sly, the sensuous, and the conspiratorial. Anyhow, the lighting was done well and while you do notice stuff (hey, it’s there), it doesn’t distract you too much, if you are the kind of person who will get angsty (antsy) upon seeing entire packages. I found Kay Tong and Janice and Karen rather out of place though. Could be their accents (just doesn’t sound right) and all three were OTT in their rendition of respective roles. I know it could be a sprinkling of comic relief they were gunning for, but somehow it just doesn’t work for me. Is it a post-colonialist thing? Incidentally, everyone else that I found relatively decent were non-Chinese – Caucasians or Eurasians. Hmmm.

And then a whole week of work madness shall descend.

That I’m supposed to lip synch to this song and jump onto the stage armed with real pom poms when chorus is played in front of a few hundred important people is one of the more notable things I have to do, apart from the usual press conference and stuff (must start penning the scripts…). Well, I don’t have to do it actually but the person who asked me is cute (though possibly more attracted to his own sex), and the usual, so. Anyhow, his own team is behind him and doing it too (this special performance item), so it should be a campy scream, and why not ham it up, have fun at work, and eyeball the eye candy.

I feel so deprived and depraved. Sigh.

From Quills: Sex, without flirtation is rape.

From Cinderella Man (paraphrased): I don’t know who have it harder. The women who have to wait for their men, or the men who fear failing the women.


就这样放了彼此的手 究竟是尽头 还是个出口

只是我还记得 他每一次抚摸
只是我还熟悉 他每一个轮廓

不知道从此要难过多久 我相信 一定和孤独一样久
原来天长地久 是形容一种痛
这样的有始有终 换来怎样的海阔天空

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I heard about this place called Chippy at far east n they make the meanest deep fried mars bar. So i went with my bf to try.

I'm actually very pissed off because my bf n i are muslim and the 2 gals working there didnt even tell us dat da mars bars are fried 2gather with the cheese sausages!!!! found out later from another schoolmate who goes there often that they are actually pork sausages!!!... S!@L L@H!!!!

And actually while we were ordering... we saw a small cockroach run up the side of the counter... never going back there ever again! i regret eating there and the mars bar wasnt dat good anyway......it was almost empty inside and too sweet :(

I cant belive they have no respect for other peoples religion, at least tell people that its fried with the PORK!!!!! sausages. I really feel very insulted.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish and chips at Fish & Co. are much nicer, don't have an ammonia taste like its gone bad (which this place offers). Wasted my money because I couldn't eat the rest of it and threw it away. Yucks. Their curry chicken taste burnt and was tough too, chicken next door to them was nicer. I've tasted better calamari at other places, not all stringy and limp. The sausages are too oily and salty. In fact, almost all their food items are way too oily and salty. Mars bar not as good as you would think. Not impressive at all, just a novelty item. Really fattening and you wouldn't want to order it again because of the fat content. Environment wise the queue was way too messy and not worth the time. Music was too loud and the whole place smelled like deep fried food. Miserable sitting compared to some of the other places in the same area. Definitely not a place to visit again. Much more worth your money to go someplace else!

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home