The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Meet My Parents

Reunion dinner with my dad's eldest brother and wife (henceforth referred to as Uncle and Auntie) and their family burped out the pretty bauble.

After realising Auntie works in Attorney-General's Chambers, it was only a natural progression to ask if she knows Mr Veins, who has recently started work as a prosecutor.

XXX? Why, I knew his parents before he was born! Your uncle and I watched him grow up. His parents are our very good friends.

It was of course a very exciting bit of news, enough to cheer me up and more.

He's very homely and quiet. Always reading.

It's funny to hear him being described in that way. I always had my reservations (and suspicions), you know. Like because we don't seriously have mutual friends who know him as well as they know me and the pride he takes in being secretive and elusive ie hard to get, there's always the possibility lurking, that he's a screwed up personality, a sex fiend(hmm), basically VERY BAD NEWS. Now that he has the elderly stamp of approval (homely and quiet is always good when sprouted by elders)...well i'm not sure if it adds to the overall charm and attraction actually, given the history of the extended family *censored*. It can be VERY, VERY BAD NEWS.

At least we ascertain he's not married or anything like that. I'm not a mistress, not yet.

Anyhow, I told him about it, how we actually appear now, to go way back even prior to knowing each other in NUS.

Fast forwarding, he decided to take his parents to my show as a treat over the weekend (don't ask me why). Insisted on buying the tickets, so I got him a better rate and eventually upgraded them discreetly. As usual, Mr Veins was sardonic and eventually I cut him off and shooed him to Gents when we spoke during intermission. But I chose to be nice and asked his parents if they liked the show.

It went off as nicely as it should at first, with they thanking me and saying it was a great show (but of course) and then I said my Uncle and Auntie also enjoyed and I heard you guys are good friends. And here's where everything just goes off tangent wildly, and like totally. *appalled*

Mr Veins' parents: Ahhh yes, we are. We were there at your dad's *insert most inauspicious word*

Me: Ummm. Well, *insert Mr Veins' real name* was there during my mum's.

Mr Veins' parents: Your mum also?! Was it quite recent?

Me: Errr...yah December *insert cause and condition*. Okay, I think the show's about to start, I gotta go. Auntie, Uncle, nice meeting you, Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

With that, I fled the bloody scene. WTF. Short interaction, but not exactly sweetest huh.

I don't know about you. This is the first time I'm meeting his parents and it's pretty much sent me reeling. Urgh.

Terrible script. Terrible lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home