The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, January 10, 2005

We Have Art So We Shall Not Die From Reality

We have art so we shall not die from reality - Nietzsche

*

So I went to the gym instead on Friday. 5.9km on bike and 4.3km on treadmill. I shall set a reasonable goal of at least 10km done each visit. Doesn't matter what, so long as somehow I travel 10km.

The evening saw me trotting down Singapore Art Museum to see the rest of Botero artworks. It was okay, until I realised some of the oil paintings I wanted to examine closely were not amongst those exhibited. Quite disappointing in that sense. Thing of Note: The president walked past me and I tried hard to avoid being accidentally photographed. Strangely, I had picked a day that Russell Wong decided to have some sort of gallery display and it was the grand opening. There were too many well-heeled, well-dressed people and a couple of familiar faces I had to walk past to get to my intended destination. I put on my poseur face: the oh-i'm-way-too-cool-to-care look. Expanded, it's supposed to explain why I'm in a vintage top and scruffy jeans (read: I'm a bohemian) and lounging around by myself.

Yes, I was alone, quite so, because Minxiu was late. Eventually, I sailed through Botero works with myself (and played along with looking arty) which was pretty nice and relaxing. To be able to admire at one's own pace and expense is always rare. The Other is almost always a hovering presence to keep in mind.

By the time I was done, it was too late to do any more apart from dinner, so returned to Via Mar and started some serious spending.

*

Saturday had me and Qiuyan having a good time doing girlie things. I bought a rather nice top which Qiuyan had doubts about.

*

Today was a quickie with Meihui and KTV at night.

*

Tomorrow, real life begins once more, and I start work.

Tell me, why is living life in the adult mode so surreal. To prove that I'm alive, I'm resorting to consumerism.

For Minxiu: The maxim - I consume, therefore I am - is fundamentally flawed. By generously using "I" without qualifying and defining, statement presupposes the identity "I" a priori. So the conclusion is actually what you have already assumed in the premise. I already am, not because I consume, but because "I" is used.How do you prove "I" is individual as opposed to a collective? For that matter, how do you differentiate "I" (referring to Angeline) from "You" (referring to Minxiu) since both "I"s (as used in their respective blog) are consuming with a vengence. And yes, the famed Cartesian line is not right either, as far as the objection stands. But does anyone care?

Sigh. I am increasingly losing my philo and lit chichi-ness, that much is obvious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home