The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Two Men, Two Women and A Chinese Wedding Dinner

Amanda's Boyfriend (henceforth known as Boyfriend), is extraordinary.

A little background: Attended John's (colleague) wedding today. Amanda once hailed from our department and thus was invited too. She brought along her British Boyfriend.

The seating arrangement happened that I was between my Boss and Kim, the Finance VP (single and male and mid-30s). Amanda was beside Boss, and Boyfriend next to her. Wendy was between Boyfriend and Sonja.

The moment Boyfriend was first introduced to Boss, who's a very sophisticated and worldly veteran at her most mature, he shook her hand, and lifted it, and put it to his lips!!! Like eeewwwwwwwww. Then he turned to Wendy and attempted to hug her.

I promptly refused to look in his direction. AHHHH!!!! Molest!!!! Not even cute. No way!!!

And so I believed I was rather safe, being a distance away. He tried talking subsequently to Wendy and Boss most enthusiastically, but both sent out strong "let me be" signals and he decided to talk to Amanda, his Girlfriend eventually.

Later on, Amanda and Boyfriend excused themselves from the table. And we, the indignant, broke into a torrid.

Wendy: Ahhh!!! He manhandled me!!!

Boss: No foreigner actually has the audacity to kiss my hand during the first meet. It's never the norm.

All: How can Amanda put up with him!!!

Now Amanda happened to be a rather good friend of mine in the workplace. When she beckoned me to go to Ladies together earlier, I knew she wanted to ask me how I find Boyfriend. Whether he is too extreme. Apparently he's been married twice and had two children and is the Creative Director of the agency she's at.

I don't know, it's only been an hour, I said honestly. Is he consistent in his extremities? Yes, said Girlfriend. But I don't think this will last, she remarked. Then why, asked Me. Lonely, perhaps, she reminded.

Anyway so eventually Sonja, Wendy and Boss left in quick succession, leaving just Me, Kim, Amanda and Boyfriend. Kim excused himself to smoke.

Pretending to be fascinated by my cup of tea doesn't help in deflecting attention now that the target has been severely narrowed down to just Me. Hmmm.

Boyfriend: How old are you?

Me: Er...Guess?

Boyfriend: 19?

Me: No...24

Me: And yourself?

Boyfriend: Guess?

Me: 38?

Boyfriend: No, 41.

I was rescued from this boring conversation by Kim's reappearance and the two of us (Kim and myself) began to talk in order to, well, avoid another..

Boyfriend was apparently observing our body language and all, for this is where things turn very super duper 劲爆...

Boyfriend *interrupting us*: Are the two of you married?

Kim *calmly*: No, we are colleagues.

Boyfriend: You sure? You seem very familiar with each other. Are you sleeping together?

Kim *getting edgy*: I don't think you should ask such things. It's very disrespectful to her.

Boyfriend: Why not? Have you considered sleeping with her?

Note: All these while I was following the conversation with great interest, but I pretended that my cup of Chinese tea was the most intriguing thing ever.

Kim: I really don't think so. She's very young *something of the sort*

Boyfriend *apparently promptly forgetting I had told him*: How old is she? 16? 17?

Kim and I looked at each other and inspiration struck.

He: Actually, she's 15. So I can't sleep with her. It's considered statutory rape.

Boyfriend: Oh, I remember now. She's 24.

Boyfriend *turning to me* So would you sleep with me?

Me: Er...har?

*

Boyfriend to Me: So how boyfriends have you had?

Me: Well, I have a lot of friend who are guys.

Boyfriend: So do you enjoy them?

At this point, Kim was sufficiently pissed at this extraordinary who kept asking 劲爆questions and gallantly (and immediately) reacted with a menacing expression and tone before I could respond. He was really quite irritated at the sexually-saturated questions Boyfriend kept hurling.

Kim: No, don't ask that. How can you interrogate people like this and invade their privacy during the first meet...blah blah. *starts to reproach Boyfriend for his rudeness*

Can't remember what Kim said lah, but it was quite cool.

Boyfriend: But I'm English...

That was obviously a non-sequitur. And I'm glad Kim picked on it and berated him even more.

Boyfriend to Kim: We should exchange cards and come out for drinks and have a serious chat.
You are very interesting

Kim *rather unwillingly, I know*: Sure.

Boyfriend: You could come to our place...

With Lightning Reflexes, Kim and I turned towards Amanda who has turned noticeably green.

Oops, they are co-habiting and it's something he blurted out which we shouldn't know?

Kim: It's okay. We never heard that. We can go elsewhere for drinks.

Boyfriend, to Me: You are coming along with him right? (x3, meaning he asked 3 times in quick sucession when I hesitated)

Me: Oh, all right.

I'm sure Boyfriend is thinking along the lines of a foursome.

Urgh.

*

Nevertheless, 劲爆night, is it not. Yay, and I'm very young and gay :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home