The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

20th Century Boys

Watching the sneak preview of 20th Century Boys (20世紀少年, Nijusseiki Shōnen) was my biggest thrill over the weekend. I have never read the manga, much less heard of the story before this. But I was sold just seeing the trailer alone. Practically all my favourite first generation of A-listers from J-dorama in its heydays was in it. What’s there to dislike?!

Yes, so I watched every scene in delight as I spotted more of the familiar faces. And I chuckled in glee because I was the insider who knew the dorama history connecting each of the actors and actresses:


It must have been 15 years since Toyokawa Etsushi 豊川悦司 and Takako Tokiwa 常盤貴子 last shared a scene, since the classic Say You Love Me (Aishiteiru to itte kure 愛していると言ってくれ) that stomped up the ratings chart in its year of release *screams I own the VCD limited edition box set from 1998!!!*

Whoever thought of pairing Toshiaki Karasawa 唐沢寿明 with Takako was a genius – because I don’t remember ever seeing them together in the same show before, despite them being King and Queen in their own rights.

Then of course, one of Toshiaki’s mates in the movie was already his university mate almost two decades ago in one of my favourite doramas about life, friends, growing up and apart: In The Name Of Love (Ai to iu nano moto ni 愛という名のもとに). The retired police officer who was subsequently killed was Toshiaki’s father in the same show (In The Name Of Love) too!!

Haha. I know I’m such a dorama geek. Needless to say, I also own that series. Anyway, like I mentioned, brilliant casting. Inspired. Meant to send dorama fans of the first generation into foaming ecstasy.

豊川悦司 is still looking cool and collected ( and I like it he has accumulated more freckles than I do!), 常盤貴子 doesn’t seem to have aged at all and 唐沢寿明 is still very handsome even with the wrinkles and eyebags.

Feeling dreadfully nostalgic about the golden era of Fuji TV network right now…


About the movie, well you can attempt to read the manga from here. It's in English.


I don't care. The movie can do no wrong with its charismatic cast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home