The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Forgettable Bang Than History-Making Boom

Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations of Jean Tay, whose first play Everything But The Brain was a script I love, that Boom was a letdown. The weird combination of exaggerated humour (grave humour literally, and I mean it in the noun sense - but yeah, pun intended, ‘cos the play took itself so seriously, that it was at times, making no/non sense), diction that left no room for imagination and a liberal use of dialects made the production choppy. I found myself drifting off all too easily. I don’t really care about the characters and their relationship to one another, and I can tell you it wasn’t the acting. Fanny Lee was damn good, but even that didn’t help to focus. In this sense, Boom lacks heart to be a true classic in the local theatre history. Hell, I don’t even think it was that good a play, though it had a fantastic premise to begin with. I miss the genuine poignancy and nostalgic sentimentality replete in Everything But The Brain, and honestly, the whimsical inanity of the three bears was thought up by a genius. Sad to say, I can’t revisit and reminisce what I love best in the former through Boom. Poor Jean. I hope she isn’t feeling the pressure to perform as a result of her brilliant first script becoming the best original local script, which it is still, as of to date till I see another that surpasses it in imagination, emotional depth and maturity of craft, in my less-than-humble opinion.

*

Mama Mia!
the movie was pure Exuberance and thus, Pleasure. It really made me feel alive, gushingly so, just by watching it.

*
I need to make time for the biennale. Damn. Damn. Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home