The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, February 02, 2004

My KL trip was nothing short of a dramatic disaster if I were to compare it to my last two ones to Langkawi and Bangkok. Serious. Like totally. First, I got my period on Day One. Okay, non-stop bleeding? I can deal with that. But it was bloody uncomfortable (literally bloody business and really miserably cramped) on the night train to KL and the four of us couldn't sleep at all due to the severely bumpy ride. Upon arrival @hotel in the morning after a dim sum breakfast in Chinatown, all bleary-eyed and half-sullen, quarter incoherent, the quarter rest much cheered by the thought of a quick nap, we checked in. And to our horror, there were tiny cockroaches here and there. Urgh, budget hotels. But nevermind, out of sight, out of mind; just close your eyes. We feigned ignorance and unconsciousness but eventually fell into a light sleep to recover spirits and sanity somewhat. Consequently, we din know where to eat and end up eating sushi and Swenson for a couple of meals, and having American breakfast @hotel (no choice here 'coz it's free). Considering we ate out around seven meals during the whole trip, I mean if this is not sad, I don't know what is. Local delicacies, where are they??? When we actually bothered to visit *strongly recommended* eateries (I brought along an article featuring Aaron Aziz and his favourite KL makan places), apparently either they don't exist or Aaron is an idiot when comes to giving directions (there's no name of stalls; he merely stated like oh, along this stretch, next to this and opposite so and so mall). Well, we followed and walked one full circle and ended up in the same place with no legendary stalls in sight. KL definitely pales in comparison to my beloved Bangkok when it comes to being a food and shopping paradise (Plus since I was staying a five* hotel in Langkawi, my experience in KL is not that great comparatively either). Oh, the wretchedness of it all. And you, what do you understand of the pain that comes from having prepared copious cash only to realise there's absolutely nothing, nothing you can buy? So here we are, not exactly cash-strapped but no correct context and circumstances to be generous and contribute to the Asian economy. So we bought a couple of bags, an item of clothing here and there and that's like, it. Those heady, bountiful days in Bangkok when I alone bought 5 beautiful bags, 13 baby tees, shoes, watches and all, oh how I miss dearly!

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I sincerely believed Huixin to be a hooker and greatly upset Shimin in the process. Yeah, like Duh. But it all began with Huixin remarking how there was a cheap-looking woman dressed sluttily and giving us the sneaky look-over in the lift. Huixin also told of how the woman saw our room numbers as Kaile took out the keys from his bag and wondered out loud that perhaps she would go looking for Kaile tonight, call his room or knock on his door, something. I think I was at fault for paying too much attention to such details (but how terribly can you fault me for being a good listener and taking my friends' words to heart?) coz somehow the story stayed and stuck in mind. Later on, the three went out to buy supper and I was alone in the room. So, a series of well-placed and well-timed coincedences followed to ensure the semi-tragedy ensue:

1) Some Group of Guys and Girls making a huge din just outside my room
2) Huixin called and asked in an ah-lian manner in chinese (I think)...what do you want? Except of course it din occur to me at all it was Huixin. My immediate thought was Ah, Big Noisy Group (messy orgy?); Ah, strange woman called to ask what I want without introducing who she is (link to Huixin's earlier tales); and to finally connect the two, AHHHHHHHHHHH, got ppl trying to disturb us!!!! And pls remember, we were staying in such a budget hotel that it wld hardly be surprising if the place was sleazy and floozy-like. Anyhow, I put down the phone hurriedly and din answer when it kept ringing shrilly and insistently subsequently.
3) Then the knockings began on my door. Someone (or some ppl) were continuously knocking at my door. Someone (or some ppl) who obviously can't be my friends because they din yell out my name.
4) I never had the habit of peeking thru door peepholes 'coz I firmly believe outsiders can "see" you like in all horror movies...it pays not to venture close to the door at all. Besides the hole was too high up and there was no empty chair for me to climb upon. So I place my unshakeable faith in the conviction that my travelling companions would call my name when it was they knocking at my door.
5) I sms-ed Huixin, the only person apart from me, who had auto-roaming that there seemed to be ppl out to disturb us and could they pls return soon.
6) Finally Kaile yelled out my name when I heard another series of knocking and I opened the door, gladly.
7) Turned out the phonecalls and knockings were made by them!!!!
8) Turned out Huixin din bring her phone,
9) Turned out the Some Group of Guys and Girls were watching TV and the supposedly "dangerous" remarks I overheard (like just tear the door apart and go in etc etc) were not made in reference to our door.
10) But Kaile seriously thought this bunch of guys and girls was out to disturb me, ie just me.
11) Huixin and Shimin were aghast that I mistook the former for a hooker and I was aghast that Kaile thought that charming me would have offended ppl to the extent that they want to knock down our door to get me.
12) We both think one another were very ridiculous and boliao in our respective reading and interpretation of the situation.
13) Shimin was very worried when I din pick up the phone so when I finally burst out laughing due to the whole absurdity of it, she had the right to be upset with me. And her being all worried and unhappy had an impact on me which in turn, also affected all.
14) The absurdity of what happened took a more sobering, sombre and somewhat eery take when we attempt a serious evaluation of it. The Sheer Coindence; The Perfect Fit; Why we would think oddly what we think (even if it's quite obviously an unusual take); that Huixin din bring her phone; that they din call out my name when they knocked precisely because they din want others to know of my name...*shiver shiver*

But it all ended quite happily, I'm immensely relieved to say. In fact, I think it was a most memorable and hilarious (and dangerous) incident that would never, ever happen again to anyone (of us) again. We are quite lucky to have experience this. Anyhow, Huixin has decided to keep those incriminating sms-es I sent her for a long time to have a good laugh over it :) And we happily pronounced Shinhao and his absence the main culprits for this security breach. Oh man, it's all his fault!

I din do much shopping. Ended up going for a manicure and pedicure with Shimin.

I'n running out of steam. Quite tired. Shall continue another time. But dearest Shimin, Huixin and Kaile, it was most fun, of a different kind that I had expected initially from previous travelling sessions. I think the four of us had the most unique experience of Kl, ever!

I bought Love, Actually for you, Ruth. Don't roll your eyes. It's a grand movie. Naked Ambition was sold out; I tried okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home