The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Of Chineseness & Chinese New Year


Not my cousins: my friends - 2 from same primary school, 7 from same secondary school, er and most from the same JC :) - at Meihui's housewarming cum New Year party. I suspect Minxiu picked those that he looked best in to send over. Unfortunately those he looked purportedly best in, are also those in which my girlfriends and I looked tiny. I would upload mine (very nice, esp those of Meihui, MinChao and Me) except my PC and camera cannot exchange data leh (think it's my PC). So this will have to do for now.
This Chinese New Year is great. Everyone from my mum’s side was fantastic. It thrilled me that my little cousins were running around to announce my arrival (but then they are easily excitable, albeit totally adorable creatures) to the whole household the moment I stepped in. Ate and ate, and ate again. Chatted with cousins, uncles and aunts. Won $40 +++ through blackjack.

My dad’s side was less great (super repressed and gives me a general sense of disunity and chaos beneath the restless awkwardness and quiet, superficial smiles) but we are trying. It helps that my mum’s side is scarily exuberant and loud, I guess. Plus people who operate gambling dens during the festive period can only be good. My mum’s family is definitely with-it, in-it together.

I will do the Chinese thing - do my sincere darnest to make the whole Chinese family ties and blood-bonding affair work. After all, it’s a good belief I no longer question, simply because. I have accepted I will always be Chinese. However sceptical I am towards certain Asian practices and philosophies, there’s no escaping from personal preferences. Something I need to recognize now that I am supposedly grown-up.

I used to chide my mum for being silly, when she asked whether I felt it was embarrassing not to go there during CNY. I rather stay home and bum, I retorted. It will be my embarrassment to be seen there. I think I finally understand how she must have felt. Well, Ma, see, Meimei and I are visiting both families, and I’m actually enjoying myself after abandoning some principles I had stubbornly clung onto.

It is quite sad to be alone by yourself during Chinese New Year.

Surprisingly, I get no grilling from the adults, except from my male cousins (closest in age). But seeing one of them bringing his girlfriend of 5 months to participate in our quirks and rituals is very, how to say this delicately, tempting. For a moment, I wish I had someone (as opposed to Someone) to invite over too.

2 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

How dare you suggest that! It's an affront to my professionalism! Actually all the others (there were only two more) were out of focus and they cut most of Qingwei off, so I deleted them for the common good.

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to check the phone numbers while I was in the office today. Sorry. Heh. *sheepish smile*

And I really don't like people who bring their boyfriends or girlfriends to family things. It's so fucking annoying that they shove them in your face.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Angeline said...

heh. check out the pictures in my camera!! well, unfortunately i still can't download into my pc (!?) so. looking at all the pictures make me feel good in a melting, goo-ey way :)

i will remind you tomorrow about the numbers for 4D.

AND i will remind you of your words when you actually have a girlfriend to take home for family affairs. it has to come naturally, obviously (and the showing off is part of the natural thing) but it's only 天经地义. imagine if your girlfriend doesn't bring you to such gatherings and you never, ever catch a glimpse of her family, immediate and extended. time to hit the panic button okay.
compulsory attendance for all gatherings is never necessary but i think the CNY meet signifies the relationship is perhaps, a little more serious.

(incidentally, i met Mr Dimples' elder brother recently. the former dropped the latter off at where he was supposed to meet me, cos the brother left his (the bro's) car at orchard - and because i wasn't forewarned, i was slightly confused about this person popping out of the car and totally forgot my manners. it took a "may i know you?" from the brother before i introduced myself (Mr Dimples was in the driver's seat and i didn't hear him say anything!)quickly and closed the car door quickly in sheer embarrassment. urgh.)

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home