The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, April 19, 2004

The weekend has never felt shorter. Watching a play on Sat and yet another on Sun left me with no time for personal and proper errands I promised myself I would run (NO!!! Not the kind of run-run that makes me sweat. Just harmless, playful articles I should do and buy to pretend all is upbeat and well. Trust me, you'd actually grow to believe and end up relatively cheerful for a few days, which is good enough).

Watched Lovers' Words with my dear sister @Esplanade (being the nice big sister determined to bring up up baby sis well, I paid for her very first play). The play assumes a homosexual/lesbian society is the norm and examines what happens when Man and Woman find themselves attracted to the opposite sex. All I can say is the number of people who can speak fluent Mandarin without sounding strange or strangling the language is steadily on the decline. If even the theatre people dabbling in the chinese craft of it can sound this bad, what hope is there for the non-theatrical? Why can't people speak properly? Teachers, do something about this!!! Why can't everybody be like me and Shimin and speak Mandarin with excellent intonation and perfect pitch? :) That's it. Be like me, and Shimin. We should be poster girls for Speak Mandarin Campaign, not to mention I look very Chinese also. Shimin is a bit too dark to be fair Chinese girl, but it's okay. I shall insist on her to be inside
the poster with me.

So the way words were pronounced in the play was terribly awkward and distracting.The Opening Scene was good though. It was powerful and reminded me of si1ke1lang3song4 days in secondary school the way the group band together to utter the dialogue. The sheer dramatic intensity + loudness conceal the bad Mandarin. But it was :P all the way thereafter, especially Willy Lau. His Mandarin is just terok through and through. And he was leading man!!! Pui!

So I admire the set design and the interesting black and white revealing wraps (ahh see must black and white, no grey, to suggest the you can not love a woman and a man. it must always be one way. Society can never be this accomodating and accepting) they were passing off for costumes. Towards the end, both leads shed the black to wear only white (ahhh, symbolism!!! now what? Interpretations? :) so fun, almost made up for the tortured, excruciating speech). There was also a Clockwork Orange scene in which they use the same method (watching over and over again man and woman having sex vs the novel's graphic violence. So sad, I forgot the academic/medical term for it!!!) to elicit nausea and repulsion such that the body reacts violently against what the brain enjoys. The two cannot be reconciled after the treatment. They did this to the female, so while she still feels for the guy, her body shudders whenever he approaches.

The supporting cast acted far better in my opinion. And Li Qiyang is so buffed up (and not tall enough) that it's quite scary. There's a cutie who looks like Yanan from ZhenQing, but I'm quite sure he's gay. But he's so hot!!! There's also this woman who acted as the female lead's admirer who was quite hot too in terms of masculinity (I think Shimin, you wld be able to appreciate this a lot!! I did!), and whose zaoxing won me over, together with her acting, despite her lesser-than-less impressive Mandarin.

The Sun English play was Kiss Me Like You Mean It. The cast was purrrrfect, perfect. Got chemistry. Acting was fantastic. So was enunciation. And I could fall in love with the guy who acted as Tony. Both he and Gerald Chew had no veins, btw. And I must be Gerald's most unwitting fan. I watched his Hundred Years In Waiting, Balance, and now, this Kiss. I dun think I have ever watched this many plays with the same lead.

And this marks the first play I have seen in The Arts House, Play Den. It's quite a great performing venue, I must say. Not to mention I got the best seats in the house!!!

And there goes the weekend.

And I have saved this for the last. I got a confession to make. I'm horribly, horribly, horribly addicted to Neopets. Thanks to my sis, who introduced me to this, my life has utterly changed. I can just sit before the com and play games to gain points for the pet (that my sis and I are sharing) and do quests all day/night long. And the scary thing is I derived lotsa, and lotsa of pleasure from this pet thing that is disengaging me from Very Important Matters that I'm supposed to carry out. Like I told my sis, there's nothing I love more currently than playing together with our petpet, the three of us..

Isn't that sick? Isn't this so sad???? Save me!!!

Now excuse me, while I check on my pet status.


Addendum
: The super cute guy with the super masculine voice who also looks goofy and fun and is tall (and just don't have veins, argh) is Phin Wong, who is also the editor of E! Culture. And I'll be calling E! Culture!!!! later. For work-related concerns, it just so happens. They do event listing mar, and I do events :) Yay!!!! Do you think he'll pick up the phone or will it be some geeky intern? :)))))

Further Addendum:

Oh, it is an intern, and it is a she.

She said she'll check with the editor and call me back. Hello, why is the editor not calling me back???

She also got ask for my name. *swoons*

I got a high knowing he might hear of my name and by hearing the girl saying she'll check with The Editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home