The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

On Wednesday 3pm, i experienced an exhilarating sense of hope, that I actually may have a future that is not bleak, that I have the proper career that I deserve and am willing to work towards with due enthusiasm and diligence, endowed with the vast talent that I have.

Someone superbly talented, very big-shot, extremely busy, universally well-liked, my boss-to-be, in another 8 mths time, actually talked to me in between his filming!!! And he knew I'm a f***king s****** and recognised me. Of all wonders. I never thought he knew who I am or that he realised I'm to be part of his team eventually. So, I was most happy that my existence was affirmed.

I actually thought he may not want me 'coz I'm supposed to be in his department now but the department appeared to have no one to teach me properly (or space to sit me)...so I'm where I'm now (which is also a great place!!! and not just because my first stint was so shit. the people are genuinely nice and I get to accomplish things with dignity, which is very important for a proud person like me).

Anyhow, I was really looking forward to going over to his end, so it was rather disappointing it wouldn't be so till much later. Like I said, I wonder, me being me, that maybe he doesn't want me, and today dispelled all such nonsense thoughts (but it's hard to be realistic and rational at the same time, usually it entails you being pessimistic and prepared for the worst).

And so he came over, smiled and said, so you are here in *insert name of department* now.

And I, being me and a girl to boot went, coz you dun want me mah.

I think he din quite get it till 5 secs later, and he started protesting indignantly that it was coz it was a really bad period to come in.

I smiled and said I understand lah, and I am looking forward to being there.

He recommended me to go for a course first before I join his team and told me to drop him an email so that he can put in words for me to HR. How cool is this? He cares!!! I got a boss that cares!!!!

He also told me to watch more trailers blah blah. All these from a very important man to a silly, starry-eyed girl who sees her hope for a dignified career resurrected.

The less dignified (but nonetheless important) and peculiar fact was he paused midway, stared at me intently for a moment and pronounced solemnly: I think I will attach you to ****. And I'm like, going internally, why, why??? Hee. CK says it's coz I look more kiddish than artsy. Which I guess is not a bad thing. I'm pretty good with kids, anyhow. And I'm a wannabe writer, so it makes sense not to produce for other artists, on warped hindsight :)

This sense of hope kept me buoyant for the rest of the day. Suddenly it matters not I can't see him or that he is leaving Singapore right after his exams, because I, me, have a career to build. Go, by all means go, I have something to do here. I will survive, without you.

I said to an ex-friend once, something's gotta give. If you fail in Love, you better have a Career. And if Career is not doing so fine, at least if you have Love to fall on, it's all right (Let's just leave out Friends for now.). But if both also Dead-end, either kill yourself improving either one and die doing so, or kill yourself. You have to be successful in one, the very least. It keeps your mind off your dramatic loser status in other areas.

I'm happy to report to my blog that work in my current department is pretty hot. I get to run away around (like meet Kumar and various exciting, happening people), experiencing first-hand the highs and lows (all are highs, even the lows!) of events management, seeing my mentors and friends being hands-on for all things and being very happy to contribute to a team that is driven, passionate and committed. I'm motivated and proud that I belong here

*

Watching Saturday Night Fever was deafening. They screamed out the songs, at full lung, lunging power. I was also semi-blinded by the pseudo disco lights. But the choreography was amazing, especially the en masse segments. Reminds me fondly of the closing scene in Grease. Loved the sets and lighting too!!

*

Today, the buoyancy has subsided somewhat and I'm subdued. But for now, the very temporary now, I can believe he matters not, we matter not.

Career Counts. Cry me a River.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home