The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, November 02, 2009

The Angelinesque Project: Day 3

Will the quest to improve my life and up the happiness quotient end up in my blogging about the 365 or so items I have bought by the end of one year? Perhaps. I am just as inclined to throw away the stuff I have been hoarding for all kinds of excuses and excesses and be pleased with it. So really. Anything goes. Why be so hard on myself. Discipline can come in other forms. I rarely do buys and make friends on impulse already.

So yesterday, I went to reserve the eyewear I have been, erm, eyeing at since the day before. I am likely to buy it today instead of prolonging the wait out of faked prudence, false modesty and that sort of nonsense – I really want it! I also ended up with a long green sweater ($29.90, down from the original $49.90) from Uniqlo that I find perfect for my autumn trip to Japan that is taking place very, very soon.

*

I love Japan and what it means to me. It represents my inherent goodness, independence and my ability to survive, with or without. Yes, I am totally aware of the irony that I am a most major consumer there. Ha. But. It gives me great pleasure to carry out research and bask in the literary revelation of its history and then, pure joy when I am there in person.

There, I shake off my Singaporean-ness and stop being calculative and comparative about every aspect of my life. There, I am freed from my own pettiness and the compulsion to be somebody, to prove something to myself. There, there is no daily emo baggage to deter, distract and determine my life; just heavier luggage weeks later which is a matter easily resolved (and disposed of). I feel clean in Japan. Genteel and refined. And I can really believe in leading a simple life over there. But here in Singapore – don’t get me started. Hell, I am living vulgar here and still seemingly the perpetual (I haven’t used this phrase for the longest time) walking quarter-life crisis past its expiry date.

Maybe the second trip to Japan this year is all I need to keep myself reasonably sane and happy for the first quarter of 2010 at least. The more I return to Japan (fourth time since 2007), the more diminishing the marginal utility: though in this case, it means the country not of my origins is really growing on me. I want to stay there longer and more frequently.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.etsy.com

not sure if you've shopped on etsy before, but i think you might be able to find some unique accessories you like there to contribute to your happiness index :)

roof

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home