The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Of Utility, Pleasure & Good

In Book VIII of his Nichomachean Ethics, Aristotle categorizes three different types of friendship: friendships of utility, friendships of pleasure, and friendships of the good. Friendships of utility are those where people are on cordial terms primarily because each person benefits from the other in some way. Business partnerships, relationships among co-workers, and classmate connections are examples. Friendships of pleasure are those where individuals seek out each other’s company because of the joy it brings. Passionate love affairs, people associating with each other due to belonging to the same hobby organization, and fishing buddies fall into this category. Most important of all are friendships of the good. These are friendships based upon mutual respect, admiration for each other’s virtues, and a strong desire to aid and assist the other person because one recognizes their essential goodness.

Me: I'm glad you are out of the freezer.
This article made me think of you.

PJ: Haha thanks

PJ: Is our friendship of utility or pleasure?

PJ: Since i can't see any good out of it? :)

Me: It developed from utility to pleasure and I think we are slowly discovering the good. You have an easier time. but sigh...I have to find harder lor.

PJ: Yah I have slowly found the pleasure in doing the good deeds of befriending the down-trodden

Me: please bless *insert random mutual friend name* with your company then so that you may earn more karma to offset the infinite follies of your youth. I have found pleasure in flattering egos with my company :)


He will be in Singapore (again!) 18 - 27 August.

*

After PJ asked me if our friendship is of utility or pleasure (or implicitly, good), I started popping the same question to a few friends on my msn and I think this takes the cake.

Justin: Part utility and part pleasure.


Me: Tragic!!! No good?

Me: Can't you see my virtuous side??

Justin: Cannot. Likely i'm blinded by your utilitarian and pleasurable aspects.

Justin: Hmm, do u see my "virtues" then?

Kitiara: I suddenly dun. Hmmph

Justin: lol

Justin: Come on.

*No reply*

Justin: I go lunch. We can bicker later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home