The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Running For Life

So, it’s July now, and I decided to revisit plus re-implement my fitness-to-finesse regime as decided in January. The gym routine didn’t work too well, partly because of all the crazily preening and pruning people that made me feel horribly self-conscious. Fine, and innate inertia cum sheer laziness played a huge part too.

So I thought, okay, we can start again by eating healthy and a lot lesser. Brilliant – so that I can cut down on the exercise.

Boo. Upon consuming 3 slices of fruits and a glass of grapefruit juice, by lunchtime, I had a splitting headache. By evening, I was ready to slip into a comatose. I ate still, really, but in limiting portions, so maybe I should cut less, but not so less, for a start. Whatever it was, I felt better after snacking on 8 tiny cookies in between the jazz concert I was attending. Morals from the story: Eat the kind of breakfast that can last me till lunch. Eat less for lunch and dinner. Still have to exercise. Bah.

The next morning saw me meeting April for a run/walk. We started from Bedok Interchange and visited our alma mater. Then we walked along the highway and headed straight for East Coast. The sunlight was blinding and we ran smack into people participating in the OSIM triathlon. Nevertheless we had a great catch-up session, sharing recent fears and humiliations. With relish, we concluded we needed to find other channels beyond work to ascertain self –worth and achievements. With youthful (as youthful as our age allows) folly and enthusiasm, we aim to start training competitively to join a marathon a year from now and finish in a respectable time. Having nailed on that, we morphed to bimbos from quarter-life crisis plagued individuals and run to Parkway Parade to shop.

I met Minxiu after this and we attempted to scale the MacRithie Tree Top. Not very successful, because we reached the beginnings of the path at 4:59pm. Apparently the treetop is off limits from 5pm onwards. I suspect my companion was secretly pleased. It probably surprised him he was doing such a un-minxiu thing instead of the usual KTV-ing and shopping, and drinking. Still, we did cover about 3-4km and I realized with fondness, I am very attached to the place. Of the times I came, I only blogged once about it. That was when another tried to take me to the treetop but it wasn’t opened yet. So we had to look from afar, that’s all. Hopefully, in the near future, I can actually get there.

Ended up in Ikea for dinner and more shopping.

Oh, the perils of getting physical and getting all riled up about the physique.

Anyhow, here’s a cute post about running:

5 stages of long-distance running:

Anticipation
Amazement
Despair
Deceit
Relief/Terminal


Stage 1 - Anticipation
This stage starts when the body realizes it is been dragged out for long-distance running. It may begin while you are brushing your teeth, or only while you are warming up. Your body seems energized, and ready to go. Your mind is focused on the sole objective of completing the long run. This stage will generally last a few minutes into the run.

Stage 2 - Amazement
This stage creeps in as you start running, and as anticipation tapers off. It’s when your inner voice goes, “What the?! I have to run for another 1 hour and 50 minutes like this?!!” This stage will last approximately 5 seconds.

Stage 3 - Despair
As amazement wears off, despair looms over your mind and your leg’s gears shift down one. You hunch and have a overwhelming depressing aura. Other joggers avoid you as it is generally thought that this stage is contractable by proximity to the sufferer fool. This stage lasts for a long long time.

Stage 4 - Deceit
A natural immune response to Despair. The mind now attempts to convince itself that “the next round we will stop ok?”. And as each round comes to a close, the mind goes, “ok another round?”. Repeat Stage 3.

Stage 5 - Relief/Terminal
A sense of euphoria. This stage could be a sign that the run has been completed or you have just suffered a heart attack and are in heaven. It cannot be distinguished between the two. This stage lasts until the body finds a bed.

Yups. That's how my thoughts go whenever I start on the run and exercise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home