The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Work Matters

In Work World, three male celebrities pecked me before they left Singapore (including the one who smacked my butt). I find one of them rather attractive: the tall, beefy, quietly sullen who is boyishly charming when he smiles. He is always with the girlfriend (or is it fiancée). Even though they usually appear together, communication is limited between them when I bother to kay-poh, and observe group dynamics and chemistry. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by his gesture.

An aside, out of sheer curiosity and hell, inexperience, now, pecking: Is it pure good manners to brush the cheek ie check on cheek? Or is it akin to prostitution, the more you like someone, the more “intense” and “intimate” it gets ie venturing to planting a full kiss on the cheek as opposed to just kissing air? And can’t a hug suffice in expression?? How come the female celebrities don’t kiss me and hug instead? I’m also female, so why not.

His pretty girlfriend only smiled and waved and did neither. Does that mean she is less affectionate?

*

In another almost parallel universe, I am proud of the show that I have been roped in to help after my last one finished its run. As far as I am concerned, the fact that they could pull it off and put it out there is a tremendous accomplishment in itself. The thought of all the sponsors coming together, the generated extensive and expansive publicity plus the manpower behind the production is rather overwhelming. At least I feel I can say that with all fairness and a fair amount of professionalism (after doing 6 major events and two smaller scale ones and add to that, attended many, many shows), that this is no mean feat to be dismissed, that it is a positive milestone in the history of local show productions and would be taken as a sort of standard to compare against when people plan to deliver a musical in future.

Artistic merit may be debatable, but the set, the costumes and the music are commendable. Personally, I would actually prefer this over Forbidden City. The latter is too pretentious and pander-ous, if not ponderous, seen through a Western veil that one remains stubbornly resistant and ill-accepting towards because the story fails to elicit empathy, having made foreign and therefore, orphaned. The former (musical) may be derided as being too local, too light, too whatever, but it is our own, and the fantastic response from the audience (and the various ministers) gives testimony to that.

The musical gives hope to the local scene, for those interested in creating a homegrown musical. We need not borrow the past from others, for we have our own, and in it, we have our present and future.


So, merf, please consider my take on the musical, as you have taken into account that of my good friend. Incidentally, I don’t know how you reached his blog, but a quick glance at your links reveal you know May-Ann, who has linked me, and whom I do know. How small even parallel universes are.

1 Comments:

Blogger cinewhore said...

Good god. I got a shock. People read my blog. I could get slapped by Philip Yeo. Or something like that.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home