The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Material Girl

Amazingly enough, I ended up having a fantastic weekend.

Met Minxiu for a quickie late night session on Friday. Happily, he was, indeed, vain enough to strut around in his new not-as-fitted-as-I-like-it-to-be sleeveless faded red Bods top and carefully tousled ash-y hair to amuse me. I trust he had fun at the Expo, smoking away and pretending to be a pai kia, at a most wholesome Disney venue. I forgot to take down the Disney pass hanging prominently around my neck, so. So we were strolling around, in the area with lots of children and parents who just came out of the show, with him puffing, and me, there. Oh well. Welcome to the real world.

Saturday was good ‘coz I got plenty of things done and nice things happened to me. Visited Shimin at the Australian education fair where she’s helping out and met her friend. At the one booth, I stopped, I was assumed to be 18+ of age, freshly out of college. *This, of course, cheers me up immensely. And the pleasure (and pride) was immediately intensified when my companion appeared slightly surprised at my reaction, since I can pass off for a teenager still, according to him. Given that my companion is 18 years old himself, this is rather flattering. Maybe I am lagging behind, where years are concerned, by my own internal standards, in terms of achievement and accomplishments. But the very least, I look youthful enough to gain quite a few extra years psychologically. (*Plus: Shimin said I look very nice)

Then we headed straight to the food exhibition. Tried out the soya bean ice-cream (too sweet) and shared some red bean milk ice snow flakes thingy that I’ve always seen but never eaten.

And then, I spotted a designer sale one level down. My god, so cheap!! Regretfully, I broke my rule of never shopping with a guy in tow (unless they are really into it. Because, any otherwise, they just get into your way and be a burden to you) when we stepped in out of curiosity. Since there were no fitting rooms and no bloody mirrors, I had to try on the spot and ask for opinions if I looked spiffy and sharp, for I can’t get any look at myself at all. So, fully aware of the cliché, I uttered with mild horror whether I was looking good in whatever I was wearing. Very gamely too, my companion okay-ed everything.

Ended up with a Tommy Hilfiger dark denim jacket and a light brown corduroy Gap jacket (Minxiu: I suspect this is the female version of the darker one that you own. How much did you pay for it?). The latter was $34.90 and the former $29. I thought they were excellent buys.

Esplanade hosted us next. Spent a bit of time soaking in the night air and music (Mosaic festival). Stopped at Via Mar for light snacks as we have already eaten quite a fair bit earlier on. In addition to sampling at the food fair, we had hopped two Japanese restaurants at lunch time.

Lovely Saturday. I just love it when I get to spend some cash. When my liquid assets translate to tangible material possessions, it contributes to my overall sense of well-being.


Why and how so? I suspect as I gradually get older, I get increasingly dissatisfied with the amount of analysis and speculation that goes into a vague future in something, with someone etc. I’ve been contemplating about some issues and some people for years and they simply flummox me more. I have not much to show for all these years. Shopping for things and buying them – the very least, they tell me that yeah, babe, you have been moving, and you haven’t stopped since.

On Sunday, I made some further conquests at the Adidas sale that augmented happiness. Two very comfortable bandeau (sport) bras – one in a light shade of velvety baby pink and the other is a more glam-med dark blue. I wasn’t allowed to try so I took a gamble (since they were so cheap) and they actually look really, really nice (and fitted well but that’s secondary, isn’t it) when I had them on. And two pairs of shoes – One cool-looking black with very light mint green (for looking cool) and one of attention-seeking unique design (for hiking with someone). My Nike running shoes, bought in early January, have not been forgotten and I still hope to wear them, like very soon, again.

Whoring oneself to materialism is so comforting.

Shimin was suggesting that every month, we set aside some money to buy a piece of designer wear. I think that’s an excellent idea and should be implemented asap, as monthly evidence of what we are slogging for.

Aside from the usual shoes, clothes, bags and accessories, here’s a list of stuff I hope to buy and will allow myself to own once I get the time to bag them down. I don’t have time at all to check things out and compare prices!:

1) Stylish phone
2) Digital cam
3) ipod
4) A pink baby G
5) Classy bracelet watch


Fantastic Weekend. Great Buys. More to come.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you forgot to mention glasses. hope you're not too depleted to still go shopping for them...

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home