The Depths Of Shallowness

Drowning, Drowning in Cynicism; Drunk, Drunk with Sentimentality; Down, Down with Love; Dunked, Dunked in Life. Desperate Discourse. Disposable Desires. Dusky Dreams. Delirium. Dignity. Despair. Doubt. Duty. Dewy Days. Divine Divide. Dump Everything that Bothers in The Depths of Defiance. 《我的快樂時代》唱爛 才領悟代價多高昂 不能滿足不敢停站 然後怎樣 All Rights Reserved ©Angeline Ang

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tempestuous. Intense. Proud. Intellectual. Easily Bored. Consummate Performer. Very Chinese. Very Charming. Fair. Pale. Long, Curly, Black Hair. BA(Hons). Literature. Philosophy. Japanese. Law. Dense in Relationships. Denser in All Else. Brooding. Sceptical. Condescending. Daria Morgendorffer meets Kitiara Uth Matar meets Ally McBeal. Always dreamy, always cynical, always elusive. Struggling writer, artist and student, in that order please.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Oh, The Horror Of It

Dear Dream Academy

Little Shop of Horrors was frothy and frivolous fun. As an avid theatre-goer and someone in a related industry, I am nevertheless put off by the blatantly misleading advertising - just look at the keyart.

For a production so heavily marketed as a Dim Sum Dolly act, I am appalled that they played very supporting and secondary roles. I watched LSOH because I believe I can see the Dim Sum Dollies in heavy (and hot, but of course) action. Unfortunately, I walked out feeling cheated and shortchanged, that my goodwill as a paying audience member was abused and fond memories of the trio was desecrated. Frankly, I would not have caught this performance if not for the Dim Sum Dolly affinity, simply because the other characters and performers were never in the limelight so much. Hossan is grand and Denise is FABULOUS but hey, they have to tragically ride on the coat tails of the dolls.

It's great that you are putting to good use a familiar brand name to bring in different productions and to raise the profiles of other actors and actresses by association, and to make some money in the process.

It's a pity that in this same process, you have stooped lower to reach higher and alienate me. I'm sure there are many of me who share same sentiments. There must be some other balance you can seek and attain without resorting to such desperate means and exploiting people who genuinely want to see the trio taking to stage like the previous times. Singaporeans may be silly but they are not stupid (some of us are not, really) and while LSOH may be a box office success, it is not sustainable for subsequent Dim Dum Dolly productions. For future such productions, I would think twice before attending because of this bad experience.

I enjoy Dream Academy productions greatly but in the case of LSOH, it was not so. I sincerely hope this does not happen again.

Spillover effects: In addition, no thanks to the false advertising, you have successfully created a more cautious and wary audience member and I would scrutinise subsequent productions by any theatre company as well before parting with my money.

Indignantly yours,
Angeline


*

I was prepared to let it pass me without taking active action (Telling friends about the horror and sharing mutual disgust do not count). But I received another email asking me to catch the show before season ends, and well, couldn't not do anything about it.

It's truly maddening. That my goodwill for an iconic production in the local theatrical landscape is abused and exploited so very thoroughly.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the rip-off, LSOH was still a box office success. I'm surprised the show could sustain a lengthy run as the tix prices are kinda steep.

So unless audiences are savvy enough to vote with their $, the Dream Academy can always get away with it.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

It was sustainable because people thought they were watching DSD and were willing to pay a premium price to catch the dolls on stage again. I know I did! I wouldn't have attended it if I were fully informed.

That aside, I do agree with you that prices are truly steep (not just kinda) for a Victoria Hall production. The most expensive tickets were only $68 (or $58) and the show was held at the esplanade with the ridiculously expensive rental fees.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

in reference and comparison to the Dim Sum Dolly production, I mean.

Nevertheless, all things equal, did you enjoy LSOH?

7:01 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

in reference and comparison to the Dim Sum Dolly production LAST YEAR, I mean.

Why do i keep leaving out the year of production??? :X

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha I got prior warning by friends who saw LSOH earlier, so I didn't fall into their trap. Anyway I was also put off by the high tix prices and figured I might as well catch Mama Looking For Her Cat, IMF and Everything But the Brain instead. 1 for 3!

I've only watched one production of DSD so far... Spore's Most Wanted. My fav dollie is Pam Oei.. she never fails to crack me up. I can't wait to see her again in Titoudao next March!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home